Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    racing girl

Default Cornish Surname Meanings

I have G. Pawley White's "A Handbook of Cornish Surnames", third edition (1999). Let me know if anyone would like a description of what your Cornish surnames mean.

Brenda

MarkJ

Being a Cornish speaker, I can usually work out what the names mean - especially those with Cornish language derivations. My own surname I wouldn't be able to work out, although I do know what it means.
    It would be interesting to see what the book says about it - the name is Jose.

Mark

BradinAustralia

Default SURNAMES

Hi

Great post!!! Lets see if you can with these:

TAPRELL / TAPERELL ETC
    COCK
    CHEGWIDDEN
    RASHLEIGH

Many thanks

Brad

Devonmade

Default Surnames

My maiden name was Pawley, The family lived around the Tamar Valley area. but were living in Mid Devon in the late 1700's.

Sue

racing girl

For Mark:
    Jose - Romano-Celtic surname, borrowed from latin Joseus during Roman occupation. Well known during the 14th century.

For Brad:
    Tapprell etc - not listed

Cock - Possibly fom cok, a sailing boat; or from cok, meaning empty and vain!

Chegwidden/Chegwin/Chegwyn - From chy gwyn* meaning white house. Placename Chegwidden, Constantine. Mainly found in Mid and West Cornwall

Rashleigh - not listed

*Later in the book is the surname Widden, which is from gwyn, meaning fair. Perhaps this "fair" refers to "pale" as in "white house" above?

For Sue:
    Pawley/Pawle/Paulle - The Cornish form of Paul

Brenda

racing girl

Brad - From The Surname DB

Surname: Rashleigh
    This interesting name is of early medieval English origin, and is a locational surname deriving from the place called "Rashleigh" near Wernworthy in Devonshire. The placename derives from a contraction of the Middle English "atterash", at the ash (tree), with "leye, lye", a clearing in a wood, glade or this wood, a development of the Old English pre 7th Century term "leah". The first recording of the surname, below, shows the original spelling of the placename, before the preposition "atte" was dropped to form "Rashleigh" or "Rashley", the modern surnames. The development of the name in Devonshire includes: John Rastheley (1539), Baldwyn Rasheley (1553), John Rashlye (1583), and Gyles Rayshley (1589). Alice Rashleigh was christened in West Down, Devon, on January 4th 1634, and the marriage of William Rashleigh and Agnes Gaunt was recorded at Teignmouth, Devon, on February 9th 1666. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of John atte Rashlegh, which was dated 1292, Calendar of Inquisitions, Devonshire, during the reign of King Edward 1, "The Hammer of the Scots", 1272 - 1307. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Devonmade

Hi Brenda

Thank you, for the explanation for the surname "Pawley" perhaps it originated as the Son of Paul.

I have another name found in Corwall in the Launceston area. It is "Gynn" some of us pronouce it with a hard G others pronounce so that it sounds like "Gin"

Regards and many thanks

Sue

MarkJ

Hi Brenda Yep - spot on for my name

Brad - Do you have Chegwiddens in your tree? I have some in my ancestors and live just down the lane from a Chegwidden family. I would agree with the derivation given by Brenda - Chy, meaning house and Gwynn meaning white. In a lot of early records, the name is Chegwyn or other variations which are closer to the original words.

Mark

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Thanks for that, as I have RASHLEIGH's (not the posh/rich side - the Menabilly ones! ) and JOSE in my lot from Cornwall, not to mention the BOWDEN, KEVERN and MOYLE lot!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

racing girl

For Sue - No Gynn or any variants. Closest I can come is GWYNN, meaning bright, white or fair and found in all parishes in small scattered groups.

For Diane-

BOWDEN/BAWDEN - Cornish form of Baudouin. Place name. Bowden appears in St Neot and Stratton parishes. It doesn't explain what Baudouin is though!

KEVERNE - Parish name St Keverne. Found in Mid West Cornwall

MOYLE - From Mol: Bald/bare. Found mostly in Mid Cornwall

Brenda

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast