Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lcopper01

Question Notre Dame Convent School,Plymouth

hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information about this school as I have searched the internet and found very little information about it. My grandmother and great aunt attended this school from 1925-1938.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Jan1954

This is possibly the same place:

Notre Dame Roman Catholic School, Looseleigh Lane, Derriford, Plymouth PL6 5HN
    E-Mail: info [at] notredame [dot] plymouth [dot] sch [dot] uk

Drop them an email and see if they are able to help. They are bound to have an archive of past pupils and school history.

Janet

I do not know if it is possible after the amount of time has passed to get in touch with the person who started this thread. I attended this particular school and as stated above the school is situated in Looseleigh Lane but the school was not in Looseleigh Lane between 1925 and 1938. At this time the school was sited in Wyndham Square Plymouth but received a direct hit during the Blitz on Plymouth in April 1941. The school was evacuated to Teignmouth and returned to Wyndham Square in 1945 where it remained until about 1965 when it was then relocated to Looseleigh Lane. I do have some pictures of the convent plus some pictures of pupils around 1938/1940. If anybody knows how I can contact this person I would be grateful. I have sent a PM but it may or may not be received.

Janet

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I have sent a PM but it may or may not be received.
    Hello Janet,

lcopper01 has not used the forum since September 2008 but may well have email notification enabled for the PM. However, they also have the email function working, so you could try sending an email direct.

Janet

Hello Jan,

Thank you for your note. I have done as you have suggested and sent an e mail via this site and will now wait to see if there is a reply. If there is a reply I can send another pm giving my e mail address and hopefully can respond that way. So many thanks for your help.

Janet

lcopper01

Default re:Notre Dame Convent School,Plymouth

Hi Janet,
    Any information / photos would be greatly appreciated thanks very much.
    lavinia

Janet

Hi Lavinia,

I have sent you a pm giving you my e mail address but I will also send an e mail via this site so hopefully you will get this one way or the other! Ithought I sent an e mail via the site yesterday but not sure now if it went so am resending just in case.

Janet

emmerej

Default 150 years of ND

Hi Janet,

I am currently working at Notre Dame in Looseleigh Lane and am trying to gather information regarding its history and alumni for an 150 anniversary publication we are hoping to make.
    It would be wonderful if you have any personal stories or pictures that you would like to contribute before its move to our current site.

Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I do not know if it is possible after the amount of time has passed to get in touch with the person who started this thread. I attended this particular school and as stated above the school is situated in Looseleigh Lane but the school was not in Looseleigh Lane between 1925 and 1938. At this time the school was sited in Wyndham Square Plymouth but received a direct hit during the Blitz on Plymouth in April 1941. The school was evacuated to Teignmouth and returned to Wyndham Square in 1945 where it remained until about 1965 when it was then relocated to Looseleigh Lane. I do have some pictures of the convent plus some pictures of pupils around 1938/1940. If anybody knows how I can contact this person I would be grateful. I have sent a PM but it may or may not be received.

Janet

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by emmerej View Post
    Hi Janet,

I am currently working at Notre Dame in Looseleigh Lane and am trying to gather information regarding its history and alumni for an 150 anniversary publication we are hoping to make.
    It would be wonderful if you have any personal stories or pictures that you would like to contribute before its move to our current site.

Emma
    Hi Emma,

That is a very interesting project that you are thinking about. I had hoped to collect Evacuation to Teignmouth memories a few years back but could never get enough people interested to write their memories so abandoned the idea. I do have one old postcard of the school in Wyndham Square, I also have two class photos of my mother in fourth and fifth year when she would have been14 to 15 which would be around 1918. Sadly they are mystery pictures as although I know some names I cannot put names to faces! I have one long photo taken around 1953 when I was at the school and a couple of small ones of pupils around 1954 with a couple of sporting ones, netball team. I have memories of teachers and sisters who did a lot for me from 1944 to 1954 and hav e written a project which is both on the BBC website under evacuation 2005 and Family Tree Forum.

I am only just out of hospital after a total knee op so life difficult for me for the next month or so. When would you require any information? When were you thinking of producing the booklet?

If you are interested in anything further perhaps we could exchange e mails or I could ring up the school, whatever you think? I had hoped to visit Plymouth this year but not so sure at present!! Using computer is difficult at present so I am only using my iPad. I have a Family History interest so realise the importance of collecting School History as part of this heritage. Most things are scanned into my computer when I can get back to using it.

Janet

Colette G

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    This is possibly the same place:

Notre Dame Roman Catholic School, Looseleigh Lane, Derriford, Plymouth PL6 5HN
    E-Mail: info [at] notredame [dot] plymouth [dot] sch [dot] uk

Drop them an email and see if they are able to help. They are bound to have an archive of past pupils and school history.
    Hi Janet (& Emma). I have recently discovered that my Dad's mother, Catherine O'Leary & her sisters Ellen, Wyn & Mary went to Notre Dame. They were born in the following years - 1899, 1902, 1905 & 1908. Might one of them have been in your mother's class, Janet? Ellen & Wyn went on to become teachers & eventually Wyn became headmistress of St. John the Baptist Primary School, Dartmouth.

I have one photo of 2 of the sisters outside Notre Dame which would confirm whether my information about the school is correct. Do get in touch. The girls brother was Tim O'Leary who became a priest. His last parish was Dawlish. Looking forward to hearing from you. Colette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast