LINDA CANE

Default Philips family and Royal Marines!

I have a 2 part question!

I am researching my husband's family. His GGG-Grandfather, James Frederick Cane, who was a Pay Sergeant on the Royal Marines, married Eliza Philips on 1st Apr 1845 in Kilnaugtin, County Kerry (source IGI).

The IGI also records Eliza's birth as "about 1824". Her father is recorded as William Philips.

My first question is, what connection did the Royal Marines have with Kilnaugtin (I understand there is a hotel called the Royal Marine in Wicklow) - was there a unit there?

Secondly, how can I research Eliza and her father?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

corkgen

Default Kilnaughtin

Quote Originally Posted by LINDA CANE View Post
    I have a 2 part question!

I am researching my husband's family. His GGG-Grandfather, James Frederick Cane, who was a Pay Sergeant on the Royal Marines, married Eliza Philips on 1st Apr 1845 in Kilnaugtin, County Kerry (source IGI).

The IGI also records Eliza's birth as "about 1824". Her father is recorded as William Philips.

My first question is, what connection did the Royal Marines have with Kilnaugtin (I understand there is a hotel called the Royal Marine in Wicklow) - was there a unit there?

Secondly, how can I research Eliza and her father?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    The British Army had a presence all over Ireland (they didn't leave for sometime ;-) )

If the marriage is on IGI i guess it was an Anglican marriage.

You need to see the register ...... perhaps her Father was military too.

Try googling Phillips Kilnaughtin/Kilnaughton Rootsweb and see if there are any other researchers interested in the name.

LINDA CANE

Smile

Thank you for your response.

I'll give it a whirl!

Cheers,
    Linda