Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default It's a mystery!!!! missing persons!!!!!

Help wanted with two 'missing' persons.
    I have been searching for the GRO death records for
    Caroline Robert b 1859, and William Angrove/Angove b1864. Between 1891 and 1901.

Caroline was my G grandmother who was married to Justin Robert. I have them in the 1881,1891 census living in M/cr. Justin was previously married to Carolines sister Amelia. Caroline and Amelia (nee Duncan) were from Glamorgan.

Justin married for the 3rd time in 1899 to Bella Angrove. In 1901 census they are living in Swansea.
    In 1901 Justins children(one to Amelia and one to Caroline) are in the Workhouse in M/cr.

Previously, Bella Angrove (nee Payne/Pyne) was married aged 23yrs to William Angrove in Swansea. In 1891 census living in Swansea.

On the marriage record for Justin and Bella in 1899 most of the info is untrue.

So what happened to Caroline Robert and William Angrove????? I can't find any death details for them, they aren't in the 1901 census, and I cant find any re marriage. My imagination is running riot.......were they done away with!!!! Any ideas?

Pat

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Clutching at straws...

Free BMD has the death of a William Angrove in the June Q of 1894 aged 30 (fits with yours born 1864) in Barnet, and a Caroline Roberts in the Dec Q of 1903 aged 44 (fits with yours born 1859) in Godstone. Any good? I can see that your Caroline’s surname was Robert, but it would be easy for it to get written down as the far more usual Roberts.

Thanks Squaredancer..... I dont think they are the right people though. I'm fairly certain William would have been in Glamorgan when he died, and Caroline would have been in M/cr. Definately something shonky going on otherwise I can't see why they would have lied so much on marriage cert.

Pat

Certainly is strange. Are you positive about these marriages and people? Do you have more than one source of information on their various marriages and their census records? Did you know that it was illegal to marry your sister in law until some time in the 1900s? Forget the exact date.
    jen

Here's the information,
    "In the UK it was illegal to marry your dead wife's sister until 1907 when the Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act was passed.
    Until this time canon law had prevailed. Canon law is basically Church Law and this had taken the point of view that if a man and woman marry then the husband is related ot the wife's family and therefore any marriage would be improper.
    However, the reality of many peoples lives was such that if a wife died and she had a younger sister who was unmarried (or even an older sister) then the spinster would move in and look after the children.
    Obviously in the late 19th Century a man and a woman living out of wedlock gave rise to concern for many within the Community, so the law was passed in 1907 to ensure that standards could be 'maintained'. However, it was not until 1921 that the Deceased Brother's Widow's Act was passed!"
    Maybe they never married.
    Jen

Thanks Jen..I knew about the Wifes Sisters Marriage Act, and did think that may have had an impact. But according to other people it wasn't adhered too and no one really bothered about it..
    I'm positive all my info is correct, I have the certs and census info.
    1875 Justin Robert 20yrs m Amelia Duncan 20yrs @Cathedral M/cr
    1884 March/ Amelia Robert died age 28yrs
    1888 Oct/ Justin Robert 29yrs m Caroline Duncan 26yrs @All Saints Church, M/cr
    1899 Oct/ Justin Robert 38yrs m Bella Angrove 27yrs @ St Pauls Church, M/cr
    on this cert ages are wrong, Justin is down as Bachelor and Bella as Spinster, Bella also gives her fathers name as Peter Angrove when it was George Payne.
    1888 Isabella Payne 23yrs m William Angrove 24yrs @Parish Church, Swansea
    Isabella and William had one child who was living with Justin and Bella in Swansea in 1901 census.
    Think Justin must have been keen on Wales as Amelia and Caroline were from there as well!