Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Orielbenfro

Default ORIEL Single Surname Research

For anyone interested in the surname ORIEL, I have for over 35 years now researched this surname.
    Back in 1975B.C. (before computors) I indexed Civil Registration 1837 - 1975, and Wills 1858 - 1975 for the Oriel surname, from which it was clear that the surname is in 3 areas London, Wiltshire, and Pembrokeshire(this includes Glamorgan), I set out on the simple project to connect all 3 areas to a common ancestor, 35 years later I' still trying.

In the intervening period I have built large databases on all 3 areas and can show their overseas connections from USA to Canada to India and Australia. I have a large photographic archive, mainly on the Pembs Oriels along with documents and 19th century private letters.

I have just completed my 3rd update of my Pembs Oriel story booklet now some 32 pages with 12 pages of family trees.

The surname also welsh for Gallery or window has become a fixtation with years of work to do.

After 35 years plus researching, to all those who say to me at exhibitions, "I'm going to do my F.H. when I retire" I reply "don't bother its too late".

Gd hunting
    ORIELbenfro

George Gamble

Hello ORIELbenfro
    My and I wife have recently embarked on our journey to trace our ancestors, but we don't think we will ever better your astonishing and very impressive record of 35 years. We're also new to Brit-Gen, having only started in Jan 2012.
    We've established that her Great-Grandfather was John THOMAS, plumber on the 1901 Census, living in Cardiff.
    It was interesting to see that the name ORIEL appeared in the same house, and relatives of the family.
    Living at 29 Keppock Street, Roath, Cardiff, Glam
    Cecila A ORIEL b 1885 Age 16 (Niece of John THOMAS) Domestic Servant
    Thomas J ORIEL b 1881 Age 20 (? Nephew of John THOMAS) Postman
    Would you be able to let us know if you are aware of this connection, and we've not come across the ORIEL name previously.
    Hopefully you'll be able to enlighted us, any information will be gratefully received.
    Many thanks
    George & Charlotte Gamble

Orielbenfro

Thankyou for your interest in the Oriel surname.
    Thomas John Oriel was one of at least 12 children born to William & Eugenie Oriel nee’ Cole. Thomas mrd twice 1st to Anne Forfar in 1905 and 2nd to Ethel M. Hoyle 1935.
    The Cecila Ann Oriel shown as the sister of Thomas can at present be one of two possible siblings to Thomas either Cordelia Ann Oriel (1882) or Elizabeth Ceclia Oriel(1885). By 1911 the family reside at 98 Kings Rd Cardiff and prior in 1905 Thomas J. resided at 10 Mark St Cardiff.
    John Thomas the Plumber of 29 Keppoch St I believe mrd Jessie Ann Barton in 1890 in the Cardiff Reg District.
    I suspect that Jessie Ann Barton was born in Liverpool in 1859, although she states Cardiff in 1901. Part of the reason I think this is that Anne Forfar (1st wife of Thomas John Oriel) is shown as born in Liverpool ~ but this is pure speculation.
    Your connection may well be via a Thomas Oriel who owned a grocers shop at 123 Clifton Rd Roath. I have an original late 19th early 20th advertising flyer for the business. It was a shoe shop in 2000 when I visited to obtain a then and now photo taken from the same location as the drawing in the advertising flyer of the time.

Other relationships may be with Benjamin Rees Oriel, of Cowbridge Rd, Green St, and Mark St, a 2nd William Oriel of Crwys Rd, May St, Moy St, Kings Rd and Cecil Rd.

All are descended from the Pembrokeshire Oriels and the majority come Pembroke to Cardiff via Dowlais, Merthyr, Mountain Ash.

One would dearly love to show the full history of every family ever connected to the Oriel’s of Pembrokeshire and every family that mrd someone who was mrd to an Oriel but as you can understand it is not going to happen. This expansion of the family is only going to happen with the results of research and efforts carried out by yourself and the many others that have been in contact.

I very much look forward to you establishing the Thomas or Barton(if that is correct) connection to the Oriel’s, and since you live in Wales once the connection is made you may wish to visit and see my collection in Pembroke.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

George Gamble

Hello Orielbenfro
    Many thanks for your reply.
    As we are very new to this research, therefore please treat our information with caution.
    We have been working on the family name of Barter, not Barton. We think that Jessie Ann Barter married John Thomas (plumber) and had a daughter Cecila who was the grandmother of my wife Charlotte.
    As you say, it is possible that John Thomas married a sister, perhaps either Cordelia Ann Oriel or Elizabeth Cecila Oriel. I’ll work o n this possibility,
    We do not have any certificates to prove this, but I will now try to obtain some and let you know.
    It’s interesting that you mention Kings Road, Cardiff; Charlotte’s parents lived at No 87
    Again, many thanks

Orielbenfro

Thanks for the correction, that was amiss of me.

If you read my last carefully, what I did not say is that I have ignored all those names that married into the Oriel Family. What I did say was that there is a limit as to how far I go off at a tangent searching all the related families who are related to families that married into the Oriel family.

Where possible I have the names of all persons who mrd an Oriel worldwide and if I can find them I have the parents of the person that mrd into the Oriel family and in many cases their siblings, at that point I call a halt. Some related researchers over the years have given me far reaching relations/names/locations to families that mrd into the Oriel’s, which although are databased are not researched any further.

Back in 1982 I completed a full transcription of all the Oriel surname in Civil Registration B/M/D Sept 1837 to 1975 at St Katherines House London, plus all Oriel wills 1858 to 1975 held at Somerset House London, (this was all B.C.), there is no mrge or death of Elizabeth Ceclia Oriel or Cordelia Ann Oriel, had there been I would have known about it since 1982.

There is a mrge of a Cecelia Ann Oriel at Pontypridd in 3rd Qtr 1907 who may have mrd a Griffiths Thomas, but this has yet to be confirmed. (There is just so many certificates that one can buy for such a wide ranging research project).
    There is no birth registered for a Cecelia Ann Oriel, so she may well a corruption of Elizabeth or Cordelia.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

George Gamble

Thanks for this.
    George

Dazzerman

Hi there,

We are researching my sister in laws family. We believe one of the Oriel sisters married a Rees and may have had my sister in laws grandad, William E Rees in quarter 3 of 1913 in the Pontypridd district. He was born 10 Sep 1913 in the Rhondda area. We think his mother may be Naomi b 1888 or Miriam b 1882 because they both married a Rees, Miriam in 1908 and Naomi in 1912.

We hope you might be able to help as we have very little info to go on.

Regards

Dazzerman

Orielbenfro

Dazzerman
    Naomi Oriel Born 1887, probably at Nbr 9 Pryce St Mountain Ash Glam mrd a William Rees in the Pontypridd Reg District in 1912.
    Miram Oriel Born 1882 again probably at Nbr 9 Pryce St Mountain Ash Glam mde Charles Callanan in 1908, they later resided at 5 Cardiff Road Mountain Ash.

Both where the daughters of William & Rosanna Oriel nee’ Pillinger, 2 of the known 12 children to this couple.

William Oriel was the son of Thomas & Martha Oriel nee’Thomas. He was baptized at Marros in Carmarthenshire on 23 Feb 1845, moved up country for work and by 1865 had mrd Rosanna Pillinger in the Merthyr Tydfil area. Initially they resided at 6 Pryce St before moving across the road to nbr 9. William was buried 13 Apr 1918 at Aberffrwd Cemetery Mountain Ash, this cemetery was closed to visitors when I went hoping to locate the family grave. Rosanna was buried 21 Aug 1921 in the same cemetery. Rosanna was the daughter of William & Alice Pillinger nee’ Jones.

Thomas Oriel baptized 27 Aug 1809 at Marros mrd Martha Thomas 14 Jan 1839 at Marros and was buried at Marros 19 Jul 1855. Beware there are two Thomas Oriel baptized very close together and both mrd a Martha Thomas in almost the same year. One Thomas went up the valleys working at Dowlais (not yours) and the other remained in Marros working as a Gamekeeper(Yours).

Thomas Oriel was the son of John & Anne Oriel nee’ Unknown (a.t.t.). John Oriel was baptized 17 Jul 1766 at Marros and had mrd circa 1789 in location unknown, but not in Carmarthenshire or Pembrokeshire. John resided with his father James Oriel at Underhill Farm Marros, but was a nephew of Thomas Oriel of Garnass in the parish of Crunwere Pembrokeshire.

James Oriel of Underhill is believed to have been baptized circa 1728 and was buried at Marris 12 Dec 1815. James mrd at least twice ; Mary Howell 22 Sep 1757 at Marros and 12 Jul 1784 at an unknown location to Margaret Rhode, the later info comes from a court case involving the family circa 1800 over the ownership of Garnass Farm.

James was the son of Thomas Oriel who mrd twice but quite lightly mrd 3 times. Thomas born circa 1700, is the 1st major player in the ownership of Garnass in the parish of Crunwere, the farm would remain in the family from this time until 1973 with the death of Mary Elizabeth Oriel nee’ Reynolds, wife of Thomas James Oriel.

It is currently unknown who the father of Thomas Oriel (1700) was, but quite lightly fits in with the Pembroke Town Oriel’s. I have been able to trace the surname back as far as 1480 through various towns and villages of Pembrokeshire to the Mill at Spittle when William Oriel held the mill during a court case in that year of 1480.

Legend has it that the Oriels came from France (Falise, Normandy) pre 1066 as a follower of Anulph De Montgomery, who gave his name to the county in mid wales. Anulph was a constant visitor to the Castle of Pembroke. The Oriel surname can be proven in Normandy and is researched in the area to this day.

This is just a brief outline from the huge document and photographic archive I hav amassed over the last 30 years or so. If you have any photo’s of the Naomi or Miram could I have a copy please.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Dazzerman

Orielbenfro,

Many, many thanks for your detailed reply.

We just need to now prove that Naomi is my sister in laws grandad's mum.

We are waiting for his marriage certificate to arrive. If that doesn't clinch it then I may have to order the birth certificate (BMD) I suspect is his i.e. William E Rees in quarter 3 of 1913 in the Pontypridd district mother Oriel.

Another possibility is that someone from Rootschat gives me the details of his baptism, which I suspect will be in Mountain Ash and if that records a DOB of 10 Sep 1913 then that would be great.

I dont suppose you have access to the Mountain Ash Parish records do you? There is a GFHS CD I believe.

Daz

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzerman View Post
    I dont suppose you have access to the Mountain Ash Parish records do you? There is a GFHS CD I believe.

Daz
    Hi Daz,

The CD is available at Glamorgan FHS. "Mountain Ash Parish Registers"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast