Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    RichardE79

Hi Ben

I think I helped you with the Aubers on another forum didn't I? Rings a bell. Wern't they mis spelled as either Ober/Obey?

Your very right Ben, they kept coming for years. I have quite a few Huguenot lines..hence the interest. First come 1681, then 1685/6, then another in 1688, then in first years of 1700's, then another in 1721, and finally last branch in 1750's.

Louis XIV died in 1715. A lot of Huguenots thought better times had come, as the new King was just a child, and the Regent Duc D'orleans was famously in different to religious matters (In fact rumoured to be an athiest..quite outrageous for the times!). That indifference meant the countrywide centralised persecutions did pretty much stop, but localised persecutions regularly broke out, usually at the bidding of the local Church authorities or because prominent Catholics had influence at local level. The main government tended not to interfer or be too bothered. Perhaps this was the case in Poutiou 1715-1730 a zealous Catholic governer running his own little vendeta against his protestant population?

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Richard

Yes I think we know each other on another forum which I have since left though. Samuel Auber/Obey born in 1750 in Mile End. I also had the same theory that I had met you before.

I am 99.9% sure or even 100% sure Jean Morin was a Frenchman.

I want to know where in France is Mouilleron en Bas Poitou?

Ben

RichardE79

Hi Ben

Had wondered why you'd not posted there in a while. Good to see your still around.

Mouilleron-en-Pareds is just south of town of Pouzauges, east of town of Chantonnay, and about half way between cities of Nantes, Niort and La Rochelle, all three major Huguenot centres.

Michael Duke

Hello everyone,

I hope this is not a red-herring but I have a tree with a Hugenot family called MARIN.

Jean Baptiste MARIN married Antoinette PELLET and had a son

Louis MARIN who married Marie CHABOUSSANT and had a daughter...

Catherine Marie MARIN who married Rene TURQUAND a sugar refiner.

Is this of any use to you, I have a lot of info on the Turquands and associated families, best

regards Michael Duke

Quote Originally Posted by RichardE79 View Post
    Hi Ben

Had wondered why you'd not posted there in a while. Good to see your still around.

Mouilleron-en-Pareds is just south of town of Pouzauges, east of town of Chantonnay, and about half way between cities of Nantes, Niort and La Rochelle, all three major Huguenot centres.
    Hi Richard

I have no plans to leave this forum though.

I shall look that up on the map.

Ben

PaulWi62

Default Huguenots-Morins

Hello Richard

I appreciate your contribution. I was impressed by your knowledge of the subject.

As you probably noticed Ben and myself share a common ancestors through the Aubers/Obe/Aubairs (I liked this spelling - they used all these even on the same occasion)/Auberts probably from Normandy - and the Fradins, Morins etc from the Vendee/ Poitou-Charente region. Most of these family names (like Morin) are very regional. I've noticed that these families continued to intermarry right up to the second world war. To my untrained eye, Morin is a fairly common surname as, well, Wilkinson (eg the current French defence minister is Herve Morin).

Aside from the Aubers, the Morins, Fradins etc come from a small area on the border between the Vendee and Deux Sevres departements. I think it is important to note in terms of disentangling the families' branches later on that two baptisms took place at La Patente on 22 Aug 1714 involving the families of Jacques Fradin and Jeanne Bluteau and Samuel Morin and Marie Bouron. A named common witness was Gabriel Grellier (all locally represented names).

I haven't finished looking through the La Patente records by any means for the Morins (or the Pequins etc) for that matter. Nor have I started with the Threadneedle St church records - Ben is well ahead of me here. However I did notice that the La Patente records listed the Reconnaisances (relatively few as it happens and I agree with Richard's description of the significance of them). Second, I found that looking up names of witnesses to baptism and marriages threw up some more intriguing connections or coincidences. Doing this with the Davids or others may provide new avenues for research and corroboration.

Cheers

PaulWi

Hi

I found the location of Moulleron en Pareds although there is another one nearby called Mouilleron en captif I think. But they are the only two in the area so the Morins came from one of them.

Ben

Michael Duke

A named common witness was Gabriel Grellier (all locally represented names).

Hello, I have a Grellier family in my tree, including Gabriel Grellier and his son Gabriel born 1738. Is the same family you mentioned

Hi Mike

I have not yet come across the Marins but they do seem to be variants of the surname Morin.

Ben

RichardE79

I notice there is a will for a Samuel Morin on Documents Online:

Will of Samuel Morin, Plush Weaver of Spitalfields, Christchurch , Middlesex 01 March 1745 PROB 11/738

Has anyone downloaded that yet?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast