Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reputation beyond repute

Glenys

Have a look at the Kent Libraries catalogue for the Return of Owners of Land (I agree with others that it's worth checking). There are several copies scattered around the libraries of Kent. They may be reference only but I didn't check all the entries. You should be able to find a copy near you.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by AnnB View Post
    Hello Glen

The Kent 1873 Return of Owners of Land is available from Parish Chest, if you feel like splashing out

Have you found William Ladd on his farm in 1841? I have had a quick look and he was described as a Farmer then.

Best wishes
    Ann
    Thanks for that Ann. That is the year William died, so possibly worth a look. I'll look to see what pennies I can spare.

Yes I do have the 1841 thanks.

Glen

busyglen

Thanks for that Colin. With all of this information flooding in, I shall have plenty to keep me busy! It's really appreciated.

Glenys

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Glenys

Have a look at the Kent Libraries catalogue for the Return of Owners of Land (I agree with others that it's worth checking). There are several copies scattered around the libraries of Kent. They may be reference only but I didn't check all the entries. You should be able to find a copy near you.
    Thanks Peter,

I had been thinking along those lines, although I only started on this yesterday, and piecing the bits together led me to wonder if the family did own the land.

I have a lot of clues as to where to search now, so thank you and everyone for your help.

Glenys

janbooth

Default LADD

Glenys,

From the Return of Owners Land 1873:

Name of Owner: LAD Stn
    Address: Sholden
    Extent of Lands: 8 A (acres?) 2 R (roods?) 24 P (perches?)
    Gross Estimated Rental: £28. 15s

HTH

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

1882 Kelly's directory.

Sholden: LADD, Stephen Newby, farmer, Church Lane Farm.

1847, History, Gazetteer & Directory of Kent, Vol. II, LADD Wm, FARMER

1855 Post Office Directory, LADD W, 9 Albert Place, Deal, FARMER

Entries listing them as Farmer would most probably indicate landowner as opposed to tennant, but needs checking.
    Michael

busyglen

Default Jan & Michael

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Glenys,

From the Return of Owners Land 1873:

Name of Owner: LAD Stn
    Address: Sholden
    Extent of Lands: 8 A (acres?) 2 R (roods?) 24 P (perches?)
    Gross Estimated Rental: £28. 15s

HTH

Janet
    Wow, thanks Jan and Michael!

I've just returned home after a very tiring day being stuck on the M25 both going and coming back home and feel shattered! I turn on my pc and check the posts and there are the two from you and Michael. I am so grateful to you both, especially as I haven't had time to do any more searching since yesterday.

This is son Stephen Ladd in 1873, who took over from Dad, and this is the year he committed suicide. As it says `Rental' I am assuming that he rented the land and not owned it. Would others agree with this?

The thing that is confusing me (especially with the Post Office Directory entry) is that William appeared to be living and gave the address of Albert Place, Deal, whereas the farm appears to have been in Church Lane, Sholden.

Stephen appears to be living there most of the time, so perhaps Dad paid the rental, and lived in Deal. This is a real puzzle If William owned the farm, then it could make sense that Stephen lived there and ran it for him, whilst Dad went back home to Deal. (Only a few miles away).

Oh well....food for thought, I'll spend a bit more time over the next few days trying to find a solution.

Again my thanks for everyone's input, it has all helped.

Glenys

busyglen

Can I ask another question that is relevant to this post, although on a slightly different topic.

Thanks to lots of help, I have been able to paint a bit of a picture now regarding William Ladd and son. I had completely forgotten that I had the History, Gazeteer & Directory of Kent, which showed Wm. Ladd, Farmer. When I purchased this a couple of years ago, I was looking for people on the Island, so it didn't click that it could be a place to search for details of William as a Farmer.

However, this led me to go through all of my CDs that I purchased from BG and I came across another one I had forgotten. Poll for the Knights of the Shire, Kent 1857. I searched for Sholden and sure enough there was William Ladd, Farmer. This now brings me on to my question.

As I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong) this was a list of land owners and property owners, who were eligible to vote. So....can I assume that William was a land owner, and didn't rent the land for the farm?

The details that Janet found in the Return of Owners of Land 1873 showed son Stephen Ladd as owner, with an estimated rental figure. This is what is confusing me a bit, as it is listed in the return of owners, but there is this mention of a rental figure. As this is the year his father William died, I don't quite understand why Stephen suddenly is listed as owner, if he rents it. I haven't been able to trace a Will so far, and as William committed suicide, possibly he didn't make one anyway.

Is anyone able to straighten me out a bit with this please? I've been doing some different searches to try and gain some more info myself, but I am probably looking in all of the wrong places. The fact that William, and then son Stephen, appear in all the directories, returns and polls, I am inclined to think that they owned the farm, but I don't want to assume, as this wont help.

Glenys

janbooth

Default LADD family

Glenys,

All the Owners on the 1873 CD have an estimated rental value, so from that I just assumed that the powers that be estimated what the rental value of the land owned would be - does that make sense?? Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge of the 1873 disc will be able to confirm this assumption.

Janet

AnnB

Hello Glen

I have found an explanation of all the various bits of the 1873 Return of Owners of Land - bit heavy going, but it might just answer your question! I don't know if I should post the link here so will e-mail you with it

Ann

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast