five5mango

Default Researching Robinson Family

Hello,

I am researching the Robinson family (Sussex/Surrey/Middlesex) and related families (Cane, Burgess, Bates, Jennings, Swinnerton). I live in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Jeff Van Ness

Jan1954

Hello Jeff and welcome to Brit-Gen

Have a good look round and perhaps post your questions on the Sussex, Surrey or Middlesex forums. I am sure that the members will try to help you track down your elusive ancestors.

Enjoy the forum!

topo60

Hello Jeff
    My great grandfather was Ernest William Robinson born 1877 in Brighton Sussex and died in 1954 in Hanworth, Middlesex.
    His parents were Edward Victor Robinson and Eliza Penfold (Kinch).
    His grandparents were Benjamin Robinson c 1821 - 1851 married to Lucy (Streeter).
    His great grandparents were Samuel Robinson c 1786-1844 and Sophia (Cheale).
    All from Sussex.
    Do any of these names match your Robinsons?
    Judith

five5mango

Quote Originally Posted by topo60 View Post
    Hello Jeff
    My great grandfather was Ernest William Robinson born 1877 in Brighton Sussex and died in 1954 in Hanworth, Middlesex.
    His parents were Edward Victor Robinson and Eliza Penfold (Kinch).
    His grandparents were Benjamin Robinson c 1821 - 1851 married to Lucy (Streeter).
    His great grandparents were Samuel Robinson c 1786-1844 and Sophia (Cheale).
    All from Sussex.
    Do any of these names match your Robinsons?
    Judith
    Judith,

Sorry, none of the names match. I have traced back to my 4th great-grandfather William Robinson (d. 1822 West Grinstead.) The parish record states he was from Wiston. His second son, James, was my ancestor, but I do not know the names of any other children or the maiden name of his wife, Elizabeth. A plaque on a church in Egham where James is buried, states "James Robinson, second son of the late William Robinson of West Grinstead."

Thanks,
    Jeff (Honolulu, Hawaii)

topo60

Default Robinson family, Sussex

Hello Jeff

Another two generations have been added to my Robinson Tree - could they match any of yours?
    Henry Streeter b abt 1790 died 1837 married to Lucy Starr. They had the following (known) children;
    Ann 1811
    Henry 1817
    Philadelphia 1821
    Lucy Ann (my ancestor) 1824
    James 1827
    Sarah 1830
    Spencer 1834.

Henry's father was James Streeter born abt 1772 married to Ann Alfrey. They had the following (known) children;
    Henry 1790
    Ann 1797
    Mary 1799
    John 1805
    James 1803
    Mary 1807.

All born in Sussex. I know of someone else researching the family and they are looking for a Humphry - do you know of him?
    Judith

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Judith - I guess we are related! :-) - My great grandfather was Spencer Harry Robinson 1882 - Ernest William Robinson's youngest (?) brother.
    This is my first hour on this site so am very happy to have spotted this thread - particularly your post below which will expand my tree :-)
    Jeff , I hope you had some luck since you posted this!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by five5mango View Post
    Hello,

I am researching the Robinson family (Sussex/Surrey/Middlesex) and related families (Cane, Burgess, Bates, Jennings, Swinnerton). I live in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Jeff Van Ness
    Hi Jeff. My ancestor Robert Cane lived in Middlesex and came to South Africa in 1858. see my family tree on Ancestry.com He was born in about 1837. He was a stone mason. He died in Cape Town, South Africa in 1919. I am keen to get details of his birth, his siblings and his parents. Kind regards. Colin Cane [email protected]

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Cane View Post
    Hi Jeff. My ancestor Robert Cane lived in Middlesex and came to South Africa in 1858. see my family tree on Ancestry.com He was born in about 1837. He was a stone mason. He died in Cape Town, South Africa in 1919. I am keen to get details of his birth, his siblings and his parents. Kind regards. Colin Cane [email protected]
    Did Robert Cane marry in South Africa what was his father's name as I've found 3 Robert Cane's in the 1841 Census
    1 : Chas Cane 25 - father ( occ Gardner)
    Mary Cane 30 - mother
    Mary Cane 6
    Robt Cane 4
    Susan Cane 4
    Jos Cane 2 Mo

2. Elizabeth Cane - Mother 40
    Robert Cane 4

3. Joseph Cane 35 Father - Farmer
    Ann Cane 35 - Mother
    James Cane 15
    Charles Cane 12
    Joseph Cane 10
    Stephen Cane 8
    Elizabeth Cane 6
    Sibley Cane 5
    Robert Cane 4
    Sarah Cane 1

Did he go to South Africa with any one else?

Growing old Disgracefully

I have found your tree on ancestry and see you have a brother for Robert

Found on FreeBMD
    GEORGE ALBERT CANE, MMN is ALBERT
    GRO Reference: 1840 Dec Quarter in LAMBETH. Volume no 04, Page no 242