Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by lcombe View Post
    I keep it in my Bookmarks - same as Favorites:
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm
    Maybe a different browser would not have so much trouble. I have Firefox. I also have an Apple Mac computer so it is fairly virus proof.
    Best of luck
    Linda
    Hi Linda,
    The problem is sorted now, but regardless of browser, when the problem existed, going to a specific page (not the one you mention) would have attempted to redirect you sneakily to a less pleasant site.
    Just to clarify - there was no virus, it was a javascript redirection to another site which contained malware of varying sorts which changed from time to time. Windows, Mac, Linux etc - it wouldn't matter which OS you were using as the redirection was at browser level. If your browser had some sort of warning against redirection (e.g Internet Explorer 7, Firefox with NoScript), then you would spot the attempt. Without any warning tools, the browser would head off to the malware site. Once there, it would attempt to download stuff. The OS then comes into play - as you say,Macs and Linux are not susceptible to Windows viruses and trojans, however most people run Windows, hence the warning at the time of the problem.

I personally run Linux, various browsers (including Firefox 3 with all sorts of add-on security tools) and have a small interest in this kind of thing.

But Hugh has responded quickly to the problem - as soon as he was aware of the issue he began dealing with it and all is now running properly again.

Mark

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I am ashamed to say that I forgot some of my manners this morning.
    I thanked Hugh for his wonderful site.
    Then I forgot to say another huge 'thank you' to Mark for all his detective work in finding the problem in Hugh's site. Work which I'm sure proved invaluable in getting things up and running again so quickly.
    Mark - thank you.
    Pam

MarkJ

I didn't do much Pam - hopefully my contribution helped to get the site cleaned and back up again for us all to use safely.

But your thanks are gratefully received

Mark

Mark from where you are sitting it might not seem like much but from where we are sitting and staring in awe it is one heck of a lot.
    We are ever so ever so grateful that you took the time, and that you didn't give up on it at the first obstacle.

Thank you from me and everyone else who thinks the same way as me.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

ET in the USA

And especially from me who started the whole thing back in August

Elaine

Hugh Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    Mark from where you are sitting it might not seem like much but from where we are sitting and staring in awe it is one heck of a lot.
    We are ever so ever so grateful that you took the time, and that you didn't give up on it at the first obstacle.

Thank you from me and everyone else who thinks the same way as me.

Hear hear - big thanks to Mark who tracked down the details of the issue

FWIW you might like to know that Rootsweb have now changed my password and the clean web page is still in place so I hope that it will not get re-edited by whoever hacked in there in the first place

MarkJ

Nice to hear that Hugh! Such a valuable resource and was missed for the day or two it was offline by all.

Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments - they are very much appreciated.

I am sure Hugh is aware of how much everyone in the genealogy community appreciates his site - without it, searching the IGI can be quite a chore! So it is great news to have it back again - and thanks for building it in the first place Hugh

Mark

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789