rsmacleod

Question McDonalds/McKenzies of Cullicudden, Resolis, Black Isle, Ross & Cromarty

This is not a reply but a new query. Any connections out there to McDonalds/McKenzies of Cullicudden, Resolis, Black Isle, Ross & Cromarty? My husband's g./grandparents and beyond. Ruth MacLeod, in Australia

Procat

I have split this post off to a thread of its own.

Brae

Default MacKenzie, Cullicudden

My family history in Cullicudden goes way back to the mid 1700's
    If you reply, perhaps we can exchange notes.

Graham MacKenzie

rsmacleod

Default McKenzies of Cullicudden

Graham, I am researching the family history of my husband John M. MacLeod, b. 1926, originally from Inverness, Scotland.
    His g.g.grandparents were: MALCOLM MCDONALD b. 1795 (house carpenter) and MARY C. MCKENZIE, of Ferrintosh, Killearnan Parish, Ross shire, b. 1799, Urquhart.
    I have a marriage record of them marrying in 1820, in Urquhart (Glen Urquhart?); Malcolm (Malcom) is shown as a Widower.....I'm not sure if this is the correct couple, but I have been unable to discover any definite details of any other Malcolm McDonald - or rather one who can be confirmed to be the correct one.
    I have also found :
    in 1851 Census, Braclach - Mary at age 51 years is shown as House Servant, living with Donald McKenzie, age 76 (father?) sub-tenant, 6 acres, and his son MURDOCH (32 yrs.) Mason. Don't know if this is correct Mary.
    I have found a definite record of Malcolm (Malcom) and Mary's son:
    1. MURDOCH MCDONALD b. 1820-1, Glen Urquhart, (Crofter, Carpenter, Cartwright) -
    in 1861 Census, living in Cullicudden, Resolis (40 yrs),
    1871 Census: ditto (51 yrs). Married: Christina (Christy) URQUHART, who was born 1822, Ferrintosh, Killearnan Parish. (His parents' names are confirmed on his Death Certificate in 1874.)All of their six children were born and lived in Cullicudden, Resolis.
    Now in 187l Census, a MURDOCH MCKENZIE (aged 78 yrs., Annuitant, widower, and 'Uncle') is shown to be living with his 'nephew' (the above Murdoch McDonald) and his wife Christina in Cullicudden, Resolis.
    I feel that this Murdoch McKenzie is definitely a brother of original Mary McKenzie.
    2. I have found a second son WILLIAM HUGHIN MCDONALD, born 1825 Petty, but haven't been able either to confirm or to ascertain any more details of him.
    My husband's line comes down directly through his grandfather - also named Malcolm, and who was also a Carpenter/Joiner, and was third of six children of Murdoch McDonald.
    My husband's second cousin S. MacDonald (descended from first child of Murdoch McDonald) who lives in Canada, and with whom I have been in regular contact, has also been zealously trying to find more of this family, in particular Mary McKenzie or Malcolm McDonald, also without any success. He has been also involved in World DNA process to try and discover connections.
    I hope you can understand this rigmarole!
    But I would be delighted to discover the origins and more details of Mary McKenzie, and her husband Malcolm McDonald, if there should be any connection with any of your McKenzies. I know it is a very common name in Resolis, and the Black Isle, but here's hoping!!
    Regards, Ruth MacLeod (In Australia)

Brae

Default Culicudden.

Ruth,
    I am so sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
    If you receive this massage, acknowledge, and will return message immediately.
    Again sorry for delay,
    Regards,
    Graham

rsmacleod

Default McKenzie and McDonald, Cullicudden, Resolis

Thanks, Graham. My queries still stand. Would love to hear from you further. Ruth

rsmacleod

Default McDonalds/McKenzies of Cullicudden

Hi, Graham. Looking forward to hearing from you, ASAP, as you may have the missing link I have been looking for, for years. Please reply at your convenience. Very interested to hear of your family links. Ruth

rsmacleod

Default McDonalds/McKenzies of Cullicudden, Resolis

Hi there Graham, any answers out there on my query of 2008? Ruth