Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MaidinOman

Hi all, great to see this exchange of information.
    You are quite right, Ian - I had some wonky dates which I partly blame on poor transcription in my initial post! I'm sorry to hear you don't have anything more on Leonard Roach (1827-1902)
    I've given Peter a bit of a rundown of the Australian branch so if anyone else wants it, email me at [email protected]
    And thanks Brenda for clarifications.
    It's interesting to me that the Australians frequently gave their children or houses the name 'Medina'. In trying to work out how you are all related, am i correct in saying that Ian and Peter are 2nd cousins whilst MY Leonard Ian Roach (who died in 2003 in Melbourne) is their 3rd cousin once removed since he's from the generation before.
    Ian, not sure if Brenda has responded re George Roach already but I think he is a brother to Leonard and TR, born 1818 in Isle of Wight, is in all the Canadian Census 1851-1881 and 1901 as an innkeeper, then refectory and refreshment room owner, in 1871 an importer and breeder until he was Lord Mayor of Hamilton, Ontario 1876-1876. If you Googlemap the house where he died on 13 May, 1904 - 55 Barton St. West, Hamilton, Ontario - it's a splendid looking house - possibly a former hotel? He and wife Mary Jane had six daughters and two sons. Can't see their emigration date but he and brother Leonard must have left Isle of Wight around the same time, pre-1851.

racing girl

Very interesting about George. I had seen him on a list of Hamilton mayors on Wiki I think it was, but hadn't followed him up, not suspecting that he was the George born in 1818 and brother of TR! Loenora Corfield also had a sister named Medina, so it seems to be a name that family were using for a while too.

racing girl

Quote Originally Posted by MaidinOman View Post
    Can't see their emigration date but he and brother Leonard must have left Isle of Wight around the same time, pre-1851.
    According to the Canadian 1901 census he lists his immigration date as 1840.

racing girl

The house was built in 1854

Roach House in Hamilton

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Roach obit

Wideeyed owl .. I don't know if you have this but I was looking through my files and see that I had a 'copy' of John Roach's obit and that might be useful to you. I don't see how I can attach a file so I'm just pasting the whole thing here. I have also seen differing comments about ownership of the mills so be careful. The East mill was supposedly built by a baker in Newport named William Porter as a mill and biscuit factory around 1790 on a site formerly occupied by some barracks. The story goes that the bank that held their loan went bankrupt and creditors forced Porter to sell the mill. The property then transferred some how to John White of Fairlee. The mill was subsequently leased by William Roach who installed his son James at the mill. James reportedly ran the business on behalf of the family until his death in 1846 when ownership of the business (but not the Medina mill that was still owned by John White's descendants) passed to his son Thomas. During this time, my source says that they did very well and invested in other mills on the island. On Oct 11, 1877, Thomas reportedly purchased the mill and went into partnership with his eldest son James but this only lasted 5 days as Thomas died on Oct 16. James owned the business until his death in 1911 whereupon it passed to his brother John who ran it until his retirement in 1939 although he had some the [East] Medina mill to the Newport Corporation two years earlier. My source went on to say "on his death in 1942 his (John) will left remaining property (the mill at West Mill and the house and possibly a farm at Medina and possibly a bakery in Newport) in trust to his wife Leonora who has its use until her death whereupon it passed to the children of his brother James who sold the property soon after. Note that the East Mill was a tide mill and the West Mill was a more traditional 'stream mill' that was operated on 'normal' daylight hours.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following obituary for John Roach of East Medina, IOW was extracted from a newpaper of unknown name dated Saturday March 6, 1943 provided by Doreen Wade Aug 2000.

SATURDAY MARCH 6, 1943

DEATH OF MR. JOHN ROACH OF EAST MEDINA.

CHURCHWARDEN' FOR 52 YEARS.

By the death of Mr. John Roach. of East Medina House, Newport, which occurred on Saturday at the age of 83, the business and church life of the Island mourns a notable and highly esteemed figure. Mr. Roach was for 64 years associated with the firm of Messrs. T.R. and J. Roach, millers and corn merchants, of East Medina, West, and Lower Shide Mills. in the Newport district, and since the death of his brother James in 1911 be was solely responsible for its control until his retirement in 1939, when the business, which had been carried on by the family for 142 years, closed down. At that time it was operated only from West Mill, Newport, the other two mills having been disposed of some years earlier. It was a firm with an enviable reputation for quality
    and straight dealing, which Mr. John Roach scrupulously maintained. For 57 years he made weekly rounds on a bicycle, visiting customers in all parts of the Island, and when he retired he
    estimated that he must have cycled over 100,000 miles on business. His business enterprise was shown by the fact that he was using telephones between his mills as far back as 1886, about 10 years before a public telephone service was established in the Island; by his having the latest American maize-crushing machine installed at East Medina Mill just after the last war; also by an experiment which he made in having an iron water-wheel made to replace a wooden one, but this proved a failure. On the other hand, his love for well-tried old ways was shown by his decision not wholly tc mechanise his transport. When everbody was changing from horses to motor-cars he certainly had some cars, but he retained his pair-horse delivery van until his retirement. This was also an indication of the sturdy independence which was an outstanding trait in his character. No one could persuade John Roach to do a thing he considered wrong or unwise. Mr. Roach will
    always be remembered with gratitude by the people of the parish of St. John's, Newport. For 52 yoars, until advancing age and infirmity caused his recent retirerment, he rendered devoted service to the church as one of the people's wardons; and throughout that long time he was responsible for keeping the parochial accounts, a task in which he took particular pride. His annual statements to the vestries were models of detail and accuracy. In early days he was a keen and powerful oarsman in the racing crews of the Newport Rowing Club on the River Medina. by the side of which he was born and resided throughout his long life. He also served for five years in the I.W. Rifle Volunteers. He leaves a widow and two adopted daughters. Mrs. Roach was for many years the owner and conttroller of the Soldiers' Home at the bottom of Hunnyhill, Newport, doing a valued work there for the benefit of the troops stationed at Parkhurst. Mr. Roach's health had been failing for several years, but he kept about until two days before the end. He passed away peacefully in his sleep late on Saturday night. In his love of church work Mr. Roach continued a family tradition. His father, Mr. Thomas Robinson Roach, was churchwarden at
    Whippingham Church when Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort worshipped there. His name appears at the base of. a tablet in the vestry recording the opening of the present church on January 12th, 1862, and the fact that the internal fittings, including the font, seats, heating apparatus, gallery, and organ were provided by the donations of the Queen, the Prince Consort, and other residents of the parish whose names are inscribed. His brother James followed in the office at Whippingham and occupied the wardenship for 32 years.
    The funeral was at Whippingham on Wednesday. The Vicar of. St. John's, Newport (the Rev. W.H. Mackinnon officiated and the organist (Mrs. Derham) accompanied the hyms "Jesu, Lover of my soul " and "Abide with me" and played " 0 rest in the Lord." The chief mourners were the widow, Mr. and Mrs. W. Harvey and Mr. and Mrs. H. Shipman (sons-in-law and daughters), Capt. W. D. Roach (nephew) and Mrs. Roach, Miss M. Roach (niece), Mr. F. 0. H. Stokoe (executor), and Mr. A. Oliver (employee). Others attending were Messrs. H. Ablitt, A. Allen, F. Cooke, and W. Stark (former employees), the Mayor of Newport (Ald. W. Blake, J.P., who was a contemporary of Mr. Roach in his rowing days), Mr. and Mrs. Seymour Pittis, Mr. and Mrs. M. J. Attrlll, Miss Green, Mr. Edward and Miss E. Way, Messrs. W. Guy and W. G. Cutmore (churchwardens at St. John's, Newport; Mr. Guy also representing the firm of S. Guy, Ltd.), Mr. R. J. Eldridge, hon. secretary, Mrs. Eldridge, and Messrs R. Mackett and W. G. Sibbick, J.P. (members of the St. John's Parochial Church Council), Miss L. Welby Pryer (representing the St.. John's Sunday-school and her sister, Miss D. Welby Pryer, organist of St. John's Church), Miss Pring, the Misses Etheridge (also representing Mrs. Alabone), Miss M. Scovell. (representing Miss Scovell), Mrs. H. Ab1itt, and Messrs. L.C. Attrlll, R.P. Mew, W: A. Morris, J.H.Knighton, H. Rolf, H. A. Ablitt, P. F. Wadham, W. H. Croucher, W. G. B. Weeks (Messrs. Thomas, Gater, Bradfield and Company), and A. Miles (I.W. Farmers' Trading Society). Mr. and Mrs. James Eldridge and Mr. L. Jordan were unavoidab1y prevented from attending. There were no flowers, by reqnest, except one large family token. Messrs. H. and F. Damp made the arrangements.

thewideeyedowl

Default Thank you, everyone

Hi All

Have just returned to the interface after a break for a family 90th birthday celebration. There is some wonderful stuff here - thank you - and for the PMs too. Will get back to the thread some time during the next week.

Wideeyed Owl

Default George Roach 1818-1904

George Roach is GGGrandfather to my husband. When I was researching George's family - the name MaidinOman appeared. I would like to thank her for referring me to this website. George has a very large family and some of the research can be found on 2 ancestry site. The domains which are both descendants of George's daughter Clara Emily Roach are Johnston/Wright/Gates Family Tree and Holgate Gates Family Tree. I started the Holgate Gates file, the other file belongs to a ggGranddaughter of George. You will find pictures of George and his family in both files which my cousin has provided. Regards Suzanne

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

George Roach was my GGGrandfather. His daughter, Clara, married Charles Arthur Jones. One of their daughters, Phyllis Claire, married Alex Gates. One of their daughters, Dulce Elizabeth, married William E Waller. She was my mother. I have more info on this branch if you're interested.

Ken Waller

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Ken (and Homeward Bound) .. nice to see you post here. According to my FTM software, George was my 3rd great uncle. In other words, I'm a decendent of Thomas Robinson Roach (1814-1877), George's slightly younger brother. I do currently have George in my tree along with his 14 kids but I have his daughter 'Clara' as 'Claire' which is curious since both you and I are showing her daughter Phyllis having a middle name of 'Claire'. I also have Phyllis' three other sisters but I don't show that she married William .. although I see Ancestry hints from Johnston/Wright/Gates and Waller Public trees which suggest she might also have been married to a Mr. McRae. I would be interested in communicating privately with both you and Suzanne (above) about George's decendents.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Clara Emily Roach

Quote Originally Posted by iroach View Post
    Ken (and Homeward Bound) .. nice to see you post here. According to my FTM software, George was my 3rd great uncle. In other words, I'm a decendent of Thomas Robinson Roach (1814-1877), George's slightly younger brother. I do currently have George in my tree along with his 14 kids but I have his daughter 'Clara' as 'Claire' which is curious since both you and I are showing her daughter Phyllis having a middle name of 'Claire'. I also have Phyllis' three other sisters but I don't show that she married William .. although I see Ancestry hints from Johnston/Wright/Gates and Waller Public trees which suggest she might also have been married to a Mr. McRae. I would be interested in communicating privately with both you and Suzanne (above) about George's descendents.
    Hi Ian,
    I am reasonably certain it is Clara Emily Roach.
    Phyllis Jones (my grandmother), married Frederick Alexander Gates and had 4 daughters (Patricia May, Dulce Elizabeth (my mother), Phyllis Marjorie (hetter known as 'Charlie') and Sheila)
    Dulce Gates married William Gordon McRae in 1941 and they had a son William Gordon McRae Jr in 1942. William McRae Sr was killed in 1945 flying for the RCAF. Dulce married William Edward Waller (my father) in 1947 and they had 3 children (Sheila Patricia, Kenneth Edward (yours truly) and Robert Thornton.

Patricia Gates married Thomas Wright, Charlie Gates married Henry Holgate.

Would love to communicate further. My e-mail is kenwaller99ATgmailDOTcom.

Ken
    Last edited by christanel; 25-01-2016 at 6:13 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast