paget

Default A Good online virus scanner

this got me out of a few holes with virus and spyware and cleaned my pc

"trend micro on line scanner" google it

this runs via internet explore browser only it also tells you any updates you need for windows

Knowledgeable and helpful

Surely it’s better to have an anti-virus program and firewall installed on your PC so that these nasties can’t get in, rather than have to have an online utility check it over after something’s got in?

paget

sorry not stated i do have anti virus and firewall installed always and had a couple of nasties that got bye these but trend micro cleaned them up.also spybot search and destroy good free spyware remover.
    thanks

gibo

Exclamation Online scan

Yes - online scan can get your infected system out of the mess.
    When a virus hits - it often hides itself in the system somewhere and is not apparent always.
    The "boot sector" (start up file area) is one such area that can be a haven for nasties.
    If this happens you can't always remove the virus as easy as installing a virus program.
    It could be too late. The online scanner runs from the server (remote computer) and looks at your computer and then acts to remove the bug. Once you are confident you have a clean computer then you can install new virus protection.

Our work machines have McAfee protection but I have used at home and they do have an online scanner - see link -

us.mcafee.com select home and home office then look for Free services

Be vigilant!
    Last edited by Procat; 27-01-2009 at 1:27 AM. Reason: Commercial link removed, post edited to give directions

gibo

This is link to a good online scanner -

mcafee.com/Downloads/FreeScan.aspx
    Last edited by Procat; 23-02-2009 at 6:19 AM. Reason: Link to commercial site removed