Spangle

Default Tailors Guild in England or Dublin?

Please could anyone tell me if there is a Tailors Guild which might hold records of master tailors circa 1800-1860? My ancestor was a merchant tailor with businesses in both London and Dublin and I would like to see if there are any details held on him.

It seems there was a strike or somesuch of Dublin's journeyman tailors in 1834 and I have found a letter in an Irish newspaper sigend by my ancestor and 4 or 5 of his fellow tailors. They were very concerned about the "recent combinations", so much so that they offered the journeymen a large wage increase, pensions, sick pay, funeral costs and pensions for widows. This suggests to me that there might be mention of it elsewhere but so far I can find nothing. All advice gratefully accepted. Thank you.

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Try the Merchant Taylors' Company
    https://www.merchant-taylors.co.uk/in...tpage&Itemid=1

Can't get far on the site without being a member, but there ia a contact / question page where you may be able to get some answers.

Michael

Spangle

Thank you Michael - I'll do that. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting to me or which might help anyone else with tailor ancestors.

Again, many thanks.

Aussie_trekkie

Smile Tailors in Dublin

I have tailors Martin and Rohan in my family tree. Patrick Rohan was Irish but lived in Liverpool . His son in law John Martin took his family back to Ireland and his sons were tailors in Dublin. I am going there in a few weeks to research in Dublin City. Any of these names in your tree?

Spangle

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_trekkie View Post
    I have tailors Martin and Rohan in my family tree. Patrick Rohan was Irish but lived in Liverpool . His son in law John Martin took his family back to Ireland and his sons were tailors in Dublin. I am going there in a few weeks to research in Dublin City. Any of these names in your tree?

Sorry, no. My Dublin tailors were both called Charles Kohler, father and son. The father pops up from about 1832 and both he and the son died between 1856 and 1860 (though a grandson carried on the name). So, if you happen to spot a Kohler or two in your travels, especially prior to 1832, please do let me know!!

My lot were tailors in Lower Sackville Street and College Green - if it transpires that yours worked in either place please contact me and I will happily send you whatever info I have on the areas.

mrsnoah

Default re-Kohler

This doesn't sound Irish. Could it be a foreign name later Anglicised to Cutler which is a brick wall I'm at. See my post under Cutler. I have found a whole family of Tailors called Cutler in St. Georges, Hanover Square, London, and the move from one city or country as a tradesman was quite common.Just a thought- I am following up every idea I find.

Aussie_trekkie

Hi
    My grandfather John Martin born 1881 worked for a " gentlemen's outfitter" in that general area.His father John Martin Born 1852 was also a tailor.

Have you seen the group photo that is under "Tailor's military" in Roots chat forum. Worth a look!

I wondered if you have tried the Jewish History society of Dublin. There was migration of Prussian and Russian Jews from Russia in the early 1800's. The name sounds as if it could be Jewish. I believe they have very good records as the population of Jews was quite small Ireland. If you come across any Martin,Brazil, Baldwin or Rohan working as tailors I would be very grateful if you let me know . I too will keep an eye out for Kohler. best of Luck

Aussie_trekkie

Hi Again

Have you got the connection to the "Flood Family in Dublin -1840

Maria Josephine Flood was married to Charles Kohler (also known as Carl Kohler), and lived in Phibsborough until at least 1940. couple had children by the names of Marie, Gabriel, Ida, Olivia, Otto, Ambrosius, Adelaine, Raphael and Attilia Kohler.