murielw

Default REBECCA BRYANT of Tenterden

Rebecca Bryant was my 5xG Grandmother. According to the CD of Tenterden Parish transcripts she was baptised at St Mildred's, Tenterden on 28th July 1734 and her parents were John and Elizabeth. There were two other baptisms at that time...a John on 20th September 1727... and Elizabeth on 27th July 1730 with Thomas and Elizabeth Briant as parents. I am wondering whether Rebecca's father could have been wrongly transcribed and if anyone is visiting Maidstone RO with a few minutes to spare, to check for me please. Of course the father of the other two could be wrong. Rebecca Bryant married William Paine at St Mildred's on 1st January 1758. As parents names were not given at that time, the names of the witnesses could possibly help solve the mystery, so if that could be looked up as well I'd be very grateful. The Bryant researchers are in disagreement on this matter so some clarification would help no end.

Thanks
    MurielW

LadyGodiva

Muriel, I'm sorry, I don't have any info on the family you mention, but I myself have ancestors from Tenterden. Also Benenden, Cranbrook, etc. I think the county of Kent is littered with my ancestors lol!

I was especially interested in your mention of St. Mildred's church, since that is the same parish church my own ancestors attended several centuries ago!

The families I'm researching in that area have names like Tilden (Tylden), Bigge, Hatch, Sutton, etc. They came to New England during the 17th century but most of these family lines go waaay back!

I ordered a book once that had records of several of my family lines, and lo and behold, there was a photo of St. Mildred's Church!

Davran

Muriel,

Why don't you get someone to check for a marriage between Thomas and Elizabeth? He could be John's brother marrying a different Elizabeth.

murielw

Default REBECCA BRYANT of Tenterden

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Muriel,

Why don't you get someone to check for a marriage between Thomas and Elizabeth? He could be John's brother marrying a different Elizabeth.
    I've looked at that but no male Bryants were married at St Mildred's. My problem is other researchers insist Rebecca is the daughter of Thomas and as far as I can see she is the daughter of John. Neither Thomas or John are 'of this parish' so they could come from anywhere. Added to the problem, I understand someone has a family Bible which states her father was James!!!! Hey Ho. Another brick wall.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway
    MurielW

england

Default Baptisms,Marriages & Burials - Rebecca Bryant

Hi Muriel,

I was in the archives at Canterbury Cathedral this w/e & picked up some details for you on Rebecca Bryant of Tenterden if you are still interested in her. I checked the Tenterden church parish records and have the following details for you (all spellings as in the church records):

Baptism:Elizabeth 29-Sep-1727 to Thomas & Elizabeth Briant
    Baptism:John 27-Dec-1730 to Thomas & Elizabeth Briant

Baptism: Rebecca 28-Jul-1734 to John & Elizabeth Bryant (note different surname spelling to previous 2 baptisms, as well as different first name)

No marriages listed at church for John & Elizabeth or for Thomas & Elizabeth from 1713 to 1770. No other baptisms listed to either couple from 1713 to 1770. Church records are very poor quality for many years so I checked the Early Bishops Transcripts as well, which is in a yearly duplicate of each individual yearly baptisms, marriages & burials sent by the rector of all Church of England churches to the Bishop in Canterbury. These are a good cross reference if the church records are poor.

Marriage: William Paine to Rebeckah Bryant (spelling as in records) 01-Jan-1758. The marriage is too early for any witnesses to be recorded.

Baptism:Thomas 24-Feb-1760 to William & Rebecca Paine
    Baptism:George 19-Apr-1761 to William & Rebekah Paine
    Burial: William Paine 23-Jun-1762
    Baptism:Hannah 26-Dec-1762 to William & Rebecca Paine (note: after death of father but he is still listed in the baptism record)

As Thomas had a son called John and Rebecca called one of her sons Thomas, I would suggest that John & Thomas were brothers & John is listed correctly as her father. It would be unusual for the mistake with her fathers name to be incorrectly listed twice, once in the parish record & again in the end of year Bishop's Transcript. This is a smallish rural community at this time where everyone would know everyone else. It isn't unusual for wives to be called the same name, I have multiple instances for common female names in such small communities - they tend to stick to similar names, especially as they often call their children after the parents as well.

The possible reference to "James" may have accidentally come from Rebecca's second marriage:

Marriage: James Campbell, batchelor to Rebeka Paine, widow - by licence 23-Jun-1766. I couldn't find any children listed.

Burial: Thomas Bryant, 16-Mar-1770, widower, aged 70
    I couldn't find a burial for Elizabeth Briant/Bryant between 1722 & 1770 so perhaps Thomas & Elizabeth moved elsewhere (it is a rural community relying on agricultural labourers who moved around a lot between villages) & then he moved back after Elizabeth's death when he was elderly?
    I couldn't find any burial listed for John Briant.

I hope that you will find this useful.

Kind regards

murielw

Default Rebecca BRYANT of Tenterden

Thank you 'England' for all your research on my behalf. I shall pass all your notes on to my fellow researchers. I have since found a marriage of Thomas Bryant to Elizabeth...no maiden name...in 1725..so perhaps we can make some progress thans to you
    MurielW

shereeca

Hello Muriel,

Rebecca Paine and James Campbell are from my direct line they had children as follows
    1734 – 1802
    William Campbell
    1766 – 1840
    Ann Campbell
    1768 –
    Eleanor Campbell
    1770 – 1835
    Jane Campbell
    1773 –
    Sarah Campbell
    1776 –
    Margaret Campbell
    1778 –
    Hope this helps with your research

Sheree

redman71

Hi Muriel

Could Beckley be the missing link? And could Beckley fall under the district of Tenterden of the 1700s, I think Northiam fell under Kent back then.

There is a record of a John Bryant Est birth 1680 marring a Rebecca Russell in Beckley 1700. They had a Thomas Bryant 1702, Richard Bryant 1704 and could have had John Bryant Est 1702, estimated the same age as Thomas.

Thomas 1702 Married Elizabeth Hovenden in Northiam 1724 which is just above Beckley on the map.

They had three children: John Bryant 1730, Elizabeth 1727 and Rebecca Bryant 18 Aug 1734 Tenterden.

John Bryant 1730 married Sarah Pankhurst 1733 and had three children John Bryant 1760, Sarah Bryant 1762 and Richard Bryant 1757 (Dies at age 2) Could Richard be names after Richard of 1704?

And John Bryant 1760 also calls one of his children Richard! Others are: John, William, Jane, Stephen, Samuel Charles and Sarah (Samuel Charles and Sarah do marry into the Stapley family and immigrate to Australia then to America and end up in Utah).

John Bryant Est 1702 marries Elizabeth (Unknown) and has a Daughter called Rebecca (Rebeckah) 28 Jul 1734 who marries William Paine then marries James Campbell.

I think John (1680) could have died or divorces Rebecca (Russell) Bryant and she marries Eli Lavender in Beckley 1717, Rebecca Lavender died in Beckley 1758.

I know there is a lot of Bryant’s in Kent, but with the connection of names and locations could my theory hold water? Church records are very poorly maintained to non existent. If this is true where did John Bryant (1680) come from? Bryants of Cranbrook 1600's?

Julian