Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Smile any Essex RANDALL / RANDELL etc

Hello there,

Does anyone have any RANDALL at all born anywhere in Essex in their tree?

With help, I have some that I'm hoping turn out to be my husband's ancestors, born Harwich and Great Oakley. His great great grandfather was John Cole RANDALL, who had told his wife he was born about 1836. The family that looks promising has a John, born some 7 years earlier, however the Thomas in that same family group is almost certainly one Thomas Cole RANDALL who later became a master mariner. Whilst John came to Australia about 1855, Thomas remained in Essex (aged 70 in the 1901 census)

Christine Randall
    Australia

arquebus

Default Randall

Christine, I'll keep an eye open for your lot because the majority of mine (Howe / How) are, at the moment, from all around that area and there are loads of them.

I am sure I saw Randall on the 1881 LDS site when I used 'Next Household' to work my way along the streets and through the villages...trouble is, I can't remember where I saw it and I'm not doing that again for a while otherwise I'll get called a nerd!

Cole is a very common name in the area as well, so I'm not surprised to see it as a middle name.

Alan.

Clive Blackaby

Looking through the censuses for 1841 / 1851 for Wormley / Broxbourne / Hoddesdon, which are in Hertfordshire alongside the River Lea, the county boundary with Essex I notice that the name Randall occurs quite frequently. Certainly the family were still living there when I was a lad (memories of a childhood sweetheart which is why I noticed the name!), and probably still are.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by artcetera
    ....I am sure I saw Randall on the 1881 LDS site when I used 'Next Household' to work my way along the streets and through the villages...
    Cole is a very common name in the area ...Alan.
    Thanks Alan,
    I've found the Randalls in the 1881 LDS one, and also was lucky enough to find a lot of Harwich born ones in 1871 during a free ancestry trial through Gale.

Thanks Clive
    for your help also, I have one from this family group that ended up in Suffolk, so they do get about.

Christine