Shannon

Default John Calladine b.quarter ended Dec 1849

Hello. My ancestor is the above and he was born in Burton-Upon-Trent in Derbyshire, I think. Would anyone be able to confirm this for me please or find him with his family in the 1851 census at age 1-2 yrs. of age or 1861 census, age 10-12 years of age. His father was Joseph Calladine. I do not know know his mother's name.
    I would really appreciate this.

Thankyou.
    Shannon

Blanche Charles

Smile Calladine 1851

Hello Shannon,

In 1851 there's no sign of any CALLADINEs in Burton on Trent (which was in Staffordshire, incidentally - although right on the Derbyshire border. Also, part of the Burton on Trent Registration District was in Derbyshire, which does make it a bit confusing).

If you would like to e-mail me privately, I will send you the CAL(L)ADINE references for Derbyshire 1851, although I can't spot a Joseph with a John of the right age sharing the same index references.

I have come across the name when transcribing General Baptist records for the area around Burton & Sth Derbyshire. The following are from the Birth & Burial Registers of Melbourne General Baptist Church (where some of my own families from Burton & neighbouring parishes also worshipped):

Melbourne General Baptist Births Register:
    TNA / PRO Ref: RG4 / 945. (LDS Film #590684)

Nos 187 - 190 had the same parents & all born Melbourne. All these entries were registered the same day - 30 June 1837 - by John EARP.

No. 187: Catherine CALADINE the daughter of James & Ann CALADINE, who was the daughter of John & Mary WARD, was born in lawful wedlock in Melbourne in the County of Derby on the 28th day of December Eighteen Hundred & Twenty.
    Present at the birth: Sarah CALADINE, Ann WARD (30 June 1837: John EARP)

188: William CALADINE- b 20 Jan 1824
    (Pres @ birth: Mary GREEN; May CLARK)

189: Mary Ann CALADINE - b 30 Apr 1826
    (Pres: Mary GREEN, Eliz'th RADFORD)

190: George CALADINE - b 26 Oct 1829
    (Pres: Mary GREEN, Grace ELLIOTT)

also

191: Mary CAWLEY d/o Thos & Mary (d/o Robt & Hannah DENT) b Melb 2 May 1826. Pres: Sarah CALADINE, Ann WARD

192: John CALADINE s/o James & Sarah (d/o Joseph & Ellen SOAR) b Melb 27 Oct 1798. Pres: Mary EARP, Ann SCOTT

193: Henry CALADINE s/o Joseph & Lydia (d/o William & Lydia EARP) b Melb 11 Apr 1815. Pres: Mary COWLEY, Sarah CALADINE

194: Joseph CALADINE (same parents as Henry) b Melb 2 Apr 1817

RG 4 / 118 Melbourne General Baptist Burials

James CALADINEs child 3 Dec 1805 - (age not given: seems to indicate infant)

Henry CALLADINE 28 May 1809 19yrs

Wm CALADINEs child 3 Jan 1817 - (ditto first entry)

I know of at least one other Derbyshire CALLADINE researcher. She may have seen your message, but if you've had no reply from her, again, get back to me and I'll send you her details.

Kind regards

Blanche Charles

Shannon

Question Calladine research in Buton Upon trent for 1851 census or?

Hello once again Blanche. The other Calladine reseacrher did not get in touch with me. Since posting to you, I have discovered that my John Calladine was christened February 10th 1850 in Burton-Upon-Trent and they call it Derbyshire. The father is not listed, but the mother is Ellen Calladine. I now wonder if she was unmarried. I looked up her name on the free bmd and found an Ellen Calladine marriage in Jun 1852 in Burton-Upon-Trent and there is a Joseph HOULT there. John said his fathers name was Joseph on his own marriage certificate that I have. Perhaps there is a family that has an Ellen Calladine and her baby son John in the 1851 census for Burton-Upon-Trent Derb. They would probably living with her folks maybe. What do you think please? Any advice?

Thankyou for reading this.
    Shannon in Canada