Scott Thompson

Default Kiernander Family Offshoots

Hello
    My mother comes from a long and, in some cases well documented line. The Kiernanders can trace their family tree back to 15th Century Sweden and moved to Calcutta, India at the end of the 18th Century. The problem I have is finding any details about those who married into the family. In particular, I am trying to find information on my great grandfather Edgar Lionel Hill. Although he lived in Calcutta for portion of his life I cannot be certain he was born there. He was born at the end of 19th Century to Benjamin Cecil Hill (c1865-1918) and Alice Georgiana Dubois (c1870-1843) and died in 1953. My mother tells me that he may have been either a bank clerk or a salesman but that seems to be all she knows about her grandfather. I have tried the India Office at the British Library to no avail.
    Can anyone help me get back on the trail?
    Scott

eric41

Default Kiernander

Good morning
    Would be interested in what you may have as the Kiernanders are cousins by marriage

Eric

Sylvia Murphy

Yes - the Kiernanders are always interesting - lots of people seem to have connections to them in one way or the other. I wonder what you mean when you say you "have tried the India Office etc"?
    Did you look for Benjamin Cecil Hill in the Thacker's Directories to find out what he was doing? Did you look for his marriage, or for Edgar's baptism? How about looking for wills and probate records? The other thing to consider is - what religion were the Hill family? If they were Church of England, then records should be available.
    Now - have just looked in Thacker's Indian Directory for 1895 (available on CD) and find a B.C. Hill as Supervisor, District Board, Noakhali. Next thing is to find out where is Noakhali (never heard of it) - turns out it is in the Chittagong District - one of the wettest places in the world! He is Local District Supervisor in the Department of Public Works on a salary of Rs145 per month. Now, of course I don't know for sure if this is your man, or if there were other B C Hills around in Bengal at the time - but suggest that you treat this as a lead to be followed up.
    Sylvia

Saliesu

Hi there, my Username is Saliesu, but my real name is Rosalie. I am researching the Kiernanders because my maternal G Grandmother was Alice Kiernander from Calcutta, India. I,myself was born in Calcutta and came to the UK with my parents and two brothers (one older and one younger) just before my 19th birthday. I did notice you mentioned the name Hill in your research. I remember I did know a Richard Hill, but not very well. Only when I was in school, and I think he used to go to a boys school, but used to walk along with some of us girls after school, but not much more, I'm afraid. I hope you reply and we can keep in touch.Bye for now.Best wishes from Rosalie

eric41

Default Kiernander

Quote Originally Posted by Saliesu View Post
    Hi there, my Username is Saliesu, but my real name is Rosalie. I am researching the Kiernanders because my maternal G Grandmother was Alice Kiernander from Calcutta, India. I,myself was born in Calcutta and came to the UK with my parents and two brothers (one older and one younger) just before my 19th birthday. I did notice you mentioned the name Hill in your research. I remember I did know a Richard Hill, but not very well. Only when I was in school, and I think he used to go to a boys school, but used to walk along with some of us girls after school, but not much more, I'm afraid. I hope you reply and we can keep in touch.Bye for now.Best wishes from Rosalie
    Good evening Saliesu.
    My name is Eric Stewart, and I am related to the Kiernander through marriage. I have been working on the Kiernander tree for about 6 years and have a great deal of information on them. My email address is:
    eric41 AT telus DOT net
    The Kiernanders are now living in the UK, Canada, USA and New Zealand. Looking forward to hearing from you
    regards

eric
    Last edited by Jan1954; 20-11-2011 at 6:32 AM. Reason: Email address edited to try to stop spammers

BKAS

Good Evening,
    Not sure if anyone still uses this forum, as 2 years have passed since the last comment.
    My name is Brannon, and i am grandson of Denis and May Kiernander. We all live in New Zealand but im not sure when the Kienanders moved here. Can anyone tell me more about the Kiernanders? i am familiar with my Fathers side of the family, but unfortunately not my Mothers.
    Regards,

Brannon