cjen

Question Cornwall brickwalls

I wonder if there is anyone on this forum can help me solve my brickwalls out of Cornwall.
    We hold a marriage certificate for a Joseph Jennings & Alice Rogers m Lanner 1847, they migrated to Australia 1851. Joseph & Alice shown as born and resided in Cornwall, in the 1841 Census there is an entry that is close, for Catherine, Joseph & William, and an Edwin (which I have not been able to find out who he is). No sign of father, perhaps he was down the mines on Census night. Shown as born in County, which makes the mystery worse. Is it possible that they could be shown as born in County, but only lived there or perhaps did not know where they were born ?
    In tracing parents etc. closest I have got to is a couple Jonathan Jennings & Catherine Holman, were married in Halkyn Wales 1825, 2 sons Joseph & William, 1825 & 1827, Jonathan's parents given as Joseph Jennings & Catherine Jones, Cartherine's parents given as Nathaniel Holman & Johanna Northway. Jonathan & Catherine appear to have returned Gwennap Cornwall, another son Jonathan was baptised Gwennap 1831. There is no trace of the family in Wales after late 1820s.
    If there is anyone connected or knows of these families, I would love to hear from you.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hi cjen, and welcome to the forum

Joseph and Alice married at Lanner - is that near Redruth, Cornwall?
    Can you tell us the names and occupations of the fathers from the marriage certificate?

What parents names were given on their Australian death certificates?
    Are their birth towns recorded on any children's birth certificates in Australia (I know this depends on which State they went to)

More eyes can look and see what comes up.
    ChristineR

MarkJ

Lanner is indeed near 'druth Christine
    Not more than a mile or two outside the town.

Mark

cjen

Talking Jennings Brickwall out of Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    Hi cjen, and welcome to the forum

Joseph and Alice married at Lanner - is that near Redruth, Cornwall?
    Can you tell us the names and occupations of the fathers from the marriage certificate?

What parents names were given on their Australian death certificates?
    Are their birth towns recorded on any children's birth certificates in Australia (I know this depends on which State they went to)

More eyes can look and see what comes up.
    Hi Christine, sorry I have not replied sooner - been a bit busy, do have to do my domestic duties (smile).

Yes Lanner is near Redruth, and more especially also near Gwennap, many people from Lanner were baptised in Gwennap until Lanner became a parish on its own, and were also included in the Baptisms of Gwennap with the initial "L", I have ordered IGI Microfilm to see other church baptisms, have not had a result yet, apparently it can take up to 3 months.

Fathers occupation on certificate both quoted as "Miners".

No parents names on death certificates, possible family did not know,or on SA certificates it was not a question asked, which was very common in those days. I hold BMD Discs for Victoria & SA, and the very early entries do not give details of parents.

Birth Certificate for eldest son Victoria - shows seperate questions for each parent:
    Father: When & Where married, issue living and deceased =
    December 1847, Gwennap Cornwall, England , one deceased (son born 1850 & died 1851)
    Mother: Name & Maiden surname of Mother, Age & Birthplace =
    Alice Rogers,27,Gwennap,Cornwall,England.

Alice certainly was born and baptised in Gwennap, her entry & parents are on the Gwennap OPC site, however there is doubt on Joseph being born in Cornwall,as I am yet to find his birth except for the one in Wales. I had advice from the Freecen site, that even though the 1841 Census shows born in county, it is not necessarily the case, and the enumerators version was not always as accurate as it could be. Also it is possible they did not know where they were born, only knew where they lived. If this family is linked to the beginnings of the family in Wales, the sons would have returned at a young age, and may never have been told, or it was not an issue, so much as survival was on a day to day basis.

I know above is not much more help, however I do welcome your interest, and I see Markj answered your query re the locality of Lanner.

Am going to add the parents of Joseph & Catherine as well today, you never know someone may have something and not realize it.

Thank you very much Christine rgds Cjen

cjen

Wink Jennings - Cornwall Brickwall

Further to the discussion on the parents of Joseph Jennings born abt 1825

IGI shows a birth of a Joseph Jennings bap. 1825 Halkyn Wales, brother William bap. 1827 parents Jonathan Jennings & Catherine Holman. Further information from Wales revealed that Jonathan & Catherine married in Halkyn Wales 1825. Parents were given as :-

Parents to Jonathan ; Joseph Jennings & Catherine Jones
    Parents to Catherine ; Nathaniel Holman & Johanna Northway

I have not been able to find a Catherine Jones even tried Johns, a number of Joseph Jennings, one born abt 1767 cud well be father, unable to find a marriage to a Catherine Jones.

Similar: have several Nathaniel Holman's however none that married a Johanna Northway, and again I even tried "Northey"

The source from Wales also said that after son born abt 1827, no trace of family remained in the area.

Gwennap baptisms show a Jonathan & Catherine Jennings as parents to a son Jonathan, baptised 1831.

1841 Census for Cornwall shows: Catherine Jennings age 40, Joseph 15, WIlliam 14 and Edwin (have not found who he is yet). No sign of father, however he may have been elsewhere on census night. From FreeBMD site, found deaths of a Catherine 1842 Carnmarth (near Gwennap) , and a Jonathan 1848 no age given, Redruth.

It is a real stumbling block, have many theories.

One day someone may have an answer

Have a good day everyone.

cjen