Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Hi,

thanks for your very kind offer.

My ancestor Jane Ann Fenwick married her cousin John Thomas Stott. Although the Fenwick and Stott family were living in Elswick, Newcastle on Tyne, the Fenwick family moved to Poplar, London (John Thomas Stott's parents remained in Elswick, Newcastle on Tyne).

Now the story goes that John Thomas Stott fell off a boat or ship somewhere!! The only proof his young widow had was a newspaper cutting! Now no-one knows which newspaper!

The facts are that John Thomas Stott married Jane in September 1900 aged 32, and he was still alive for the census on 31st March 1901 (aged 32) but Jane was definitely widowed by September 1910 when she remarried. Jane's children from her second marriage only recall having one half sister who was born march quarter of 1901, so I am assuming John Thomas died not long after 1901.

I still haven't found his death - so don't know which sea he died - but I would hope a memorial service would have taken place at his family's hometown at Elswick, Newcastle on Tyne.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

edith

Thanks Genewizard,looking forward to hearing from you.

Summer

Red face Adding to the list..... Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I guess if you come across anything to do with "my lot" then I'd be grateful if you could let me know!!!
    Cheers,
    Summer.
    Hi Genewizard! Just revisiting some other threads and had a new thought that maybe you could keep an eye out for anything to do with John George Cowey as well?? (son of Robert, who is son of George who I asked about earlier). Aren't I cheeky, sorry for the BIG favour. He was born in Sunderland (I think your Newcastle paper covers that too?) and we believe he came to Australia between the 1871 and 1881 census (probably closer to 1880), but don't know what year or what boat, etc. There is a family story that he had something to do with chemistry and may have harmed someone, intentionally or otherwise, which may have led to him deciding to leave England for Oz. I have found out that his cousin was a druggist assistant so there may be some truth??
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=33699
    Marie C.. thought a check of the local newspapers may bear fruit if it was a criminal matter.
    Nothing came up in an a2a search on John Cowey for that time period (or indeed his life). Would shipping lists have appeared in the Newcastle Chronicle? I'm very grateful that you can even possibly look up anything to do with my Coweys.
    Cheers heaps,
    Summer.

genewizard

Default James Daglish mining accident

Hi steelhair, I have been to the library today, I couldn't find a baptisim for "Abner" in Christchurch however I will continue looking when I have a bit more time, but what I have found is a newspaper article from the 15/09/1849 from the Newcastle Journal reporting on the outcome of the Inquest into James Daglish's death if you PM me your email address I will send it to you.
    Genewizard

genewizard

Default Cowey's from North Shields

Hi Summer got quite a bit of stuff for you I will put the info in the brickwall post that you have, as someone might be able to expand the info.
    Genewizard

genewizard

Default John Thomas Stott

Hi Wilkes_ml I had a look to day regarding John Thomas Stott and the only thing I came up with at North Shields library was an orbituary which was
    "STOTT - At 44 Seymour street, North shields, on the 13/12/1909 aged 52, John Thomas William dearly beloved husband of Jane Ann Stott, Interment will be announced later" I don't think this is your John but I thought it might be of intrest I will have a look at Newcastle evening Chronicle & Tyne & Wear Archieves but it may be a couple of weeks and I might find an article about him.
    Genewizard

Summer

Thanks for that Genewizard!

steelhair

Many thanks for the info Genewizard

Jfremont

Hello Genewizard

I have two ancestors who were master mariners in the Tynemouth area. They are John Scott (b. North Shields abt 1812) and Henry Brown (b. North Shields abt 1801). Both are shown in Ward's Northumberland and Durham 1850 Directory as being ship owners. I understand the Library in Tynemouth has a book "Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships (1830-1930)" by Richard Keys which provides details of the ships and the mariners that sailed on them. I would love to find references to any of the ships these two gentlemen may have owned and/or operated. I have searched for this book but have been unsuccessful.

Thank you. John

Wilkes_ml

Thanks for looking Genewizard. That one couldn't have been the same John Thomas Stott - my one would have been aged only 41 in 1909 . I guess it would help if his death had been registered - but I can't find any trace of it!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast