Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by CanCan View Post
    Not sure if I can or should post web page link, but the company is *** ***. If you put *** **** into google ,they are the first link.
    You shouldn't post the link here. In fact I will remove the name of the company from the thread to avoid anyone being tempted to view material in breach of copyright. (Peter, I wholly agree with the comment about the spelling)

Mary Anne

The company's website just seems to me to be a shell, as this video is the only thing on it...That's what made me wonder if it was a student project...you know, create an e-commerce website, selling some product (in this case, apparently, videos) and set up a video viewer and shopping cart, etc. Could also account for the spelling...

websterbfc

thanks everyone for your replies and ideas for protecting pics

in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter that much, just is a point of principle.

As for the grammar.....not only is the film maker having probs with plurals but but also

St Jame's should be St James
    St Steven should be St Stephen
    St Elizabeth should be St Elisabeth that one is included on a great big banner on the gates of the pic, the others are all spelled correctly on the website

to be honest i think you are right and it is probably a teenager that has made the 'video' they also have a rather disturbing on (in my opinion) in memory of a 14 year old girl that was killed. There certainly no loss of revenue and it is not something i would pursue except. I was more interested in how to protect the pics in future. The trouble is, if someone is tracing their tree in buckhurst hill and stumbles across our website, i would like them to be able to print off pics if they want to and are relevant to them. So whilst the java script business is useful to know i don't think i would use it in this case....thanks though i will copy it in case i need it in the future.

I am thinking of including copyright on the pics, but not across just at the bottom which will give peeps the opportunity to include it if thy use the photos, obviously with computer picture packages they could easily remove it but i guess that is life.

Karrie Cutlets

As the photographer, I do feel flattered that they have used the photographs & in the scheme of things it doesnt matter.

However i would be 'slightly' put out if the images were used to make this person money as they are for everyone's benefit who may be interested in Buckhurst Hill

websterbfc

Quote Originally Posted by Karrie Cutlets View Post
    However i would be 'slightly' put out if the images were used to make this person money
    that would be an entirely different matter karen and if the film maker was going to be making money form your pics...i would peruse it most defiantly

raineshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    I know this is probably not what you wish to read but-
    Does it really matter?

Guy
    YES IT DOES MATTER.

The job I do relies on photographs of my work to show what I can do. If someone takes those images without asking and puts them on a site claiming they are theirs they are defrauding the public as to what they are offering ie their work may not be at my level.

The attitude of "does it really matter" by people is why so many people get their pics nicked with out asking and find them displayed on places like YouTube. Its just not on.

Nicolina

unfortunately, Graham, adding the script to stop right-clicking doesn't stop anyone from getting a copy of the photos. There are several other ways of harvesting them.

MarkJ

Exactly Nicolina

Sorry, but if someone places stuff online, then they have to accept that there is a risk of it being lifted by someone.
    We have discussed this type of thing on several occasions on the forum - mostly in relation to the "theft" of family tree info. If you don't want it using by others - don't put it online in full view of the world.

Mark

Peter_uk_can

I am with Mark on this one. I wouldn't dream of providing any information about myself on the internet.

raineshoe

Unfortunately, as someone else said the scripts help, but there are other ways if you are savy enough to have the pics lifted. I've had them lifted with a watermark on and the watermark then removed and pics placed on another site. I ask you, who'd want to go to those lengths. Create your own pics much better.

Unfortunately, for my job I need to have the stuff on the web as nearly all my work comes through my web site, but I agree if you don't want them nicked and you don't need to have them on the web don't or have them on a password protected area whereby only family can access maybe.

If its any use to anyone, I have found a telephone call if you know who the culprit is or can track them does help ie tell them the error of their ways and then come on heavy if they don't remove them. Some people probably don't realise but I am sure the majority are aware. Having said that if its for genealogy purposes it may not be quite so desperate, although I can fully see how upset some people will be.

Incidentally, I'm not precious about my family history stuff and anyone can take stuff off that site if they wish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12