Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default POWELL BAPTISIM LOOK-UP PLEASE

I am wondering if anyone has access to baptism records in Much Cowarne?
    On the birth registration it appears to say Wirresgreen (?-- I've enlarged it and still am having trouble reading it).

I am looking for Jane Powell, born Jan.1, 1853 to Elizabeth Powell. No father named...
    Yet, later in a census I found a father listed as James and on her marriage registration is says ....father John Powell.....

I am hoping a baptisim may clear things up a bit

Thanks to anyone who can help

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    Yet, later in a census I found a father listed as James and on her marriage registration is says ....father John Powell.....

I had a look in the 1861 and 1871 censuses and she appears to have been living with her grandparents. I don't see a father listed although I think I see where you may have got confused.

Father's names on marriage certificates are notoriously unreliable. It was not unknown for a father to be invented in the interests of 'decency'.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I had a look in the 1861 and 1871 censuses and she appears to have been living with her grandparents. I don't see a father listed although I think I see where you may have got confused.

Father's names on marriage certificates are notoriously unreliable. It was not unknown for a father to be invented in the interests of 'decency'.
    Thanks Peter!

I have also found her with her grandparents. I have also found several Elizabeth Powells, some with a husband John, some on their own, one with a husband James Powell........ perhaps Elizabeth wasn't married, perhaps John was working away from home, perhaps Jane stayed with her grandparents frequently, perhaps her mother had died, perhaps it wasn't John, but James......the questions continue

On Jane's marriage registration John's occupation is listed as a "Coachman". I looked on the 1881 census for London for a John Powell, coachman...found a John Powell, " Cabman" would this be the same? Still no idea if that would be her father.... he had a young wife and a 1 yr. old daughter

I tried Thomas and Susan (grandparents) on the 1851 census and found them with only one daughter at home...Emma 8.

Jane died in 1893 and her daughter, my grandmother spent alot of time with her paternal grandparents, don't know about her maternal ones.

Sue

All this is the reason I am hoping some kind soul can do a baptisim lookup... Please..

Reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find she wasn't married .

Your best bet will probably be to order the film of the parish registers through the Mormons.

As you know the place, you may do much better with the Herefordshire county forum, than this, which is intended for general church register comments/queries rather than specific places.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mead View Post
    As you know the place, you may do much better with the Herefordshire county forum, than this, which is intended for general church register comments/queries rather than specific places.
    Okay! Would of the nice moderators please move this thread for me to the Herefordshire pages..... if you think that would be a more successful place to be.

Thankyou

Sue

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    Okay! Would of the nice moderators please move this thread for me to the Herefordshire pages..... if you think that would be a more successful place to be.

Thankyou

Sue
    Done!

to Jan.

Sue

Now...... all you Powells in Herefordshire.....I'm waiting

A little update..

In 1851 census, Elizabeth Powell, Jane's mother was a general servant for Richard Meredith, a farmer of 200 acres at 23 Upper Bridgend, Much Cowarne.
    I have looked on "Herefordshire Field Names Data Base"..could only find a John Meredith in Much Cowarne. I'm not sure of the years this list covers..Richard had a son John, born about 1841. Does anyone know anything about the Merediths?

I am still unable to find out anything else about Elizabeth and who Jane's daddy was.....

This makes me feel incomplete...there's an unknown there that may never be known

It's like putting together that 1000 piece jigsaw, but the box only had 999 pieces..Part of me is missing ( Please..... no smart comments)

Sue

IvorClucas

Sue,

The index of birth registrations that I have has transcribed the place as WINNSGREEN. MUCH COWARNE. (rather than your Wirresgreen). I have just looked at the Ordinance Survey Map for the area and there is a "hamlet"/farm just to the west (about 2 km) of Much Cowarne called Wynn's Green. I think this must be the place.

Hope this helps

Ivor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast