Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    caliope

Thumbs up Hemyock/Culmstock/Sampford Arundel Records

I forgot to mention that I have access to the bmd on microfiche for Hemyock Devon,the transcribed parish records for Culmstock Devon to 1837 and parish records for Sampford Arundel Somerset to 1837 (although anything prior to 1700 is very faint). If anyone needs a lookup from these areas, let me know.

Ron Leech

Default Culmstock Parish Records

Hi Caliope

I am particularly interested in Grace Manning who I believe was christened 8 October 1775, father John Manning, mother Mary. If you are able to confirm this christening and any other detail about this person or her parents would be extremely helpful.

I am assuming that Grace survived to become an adult? It is possible that this lady moved up to London and married George Taylor in 1804. He may well originate from the Culmstock area and there is a later connection with a family named Andrews who also lived in Culmstock round about this time.

Any help much appreciated.

Ron

caliope

Hi Ron!

I will check for you on Tuesday when the family history library is open. (It's only open to the public one day a week here.)

caliope

Hello Ron,

The following info is from the Culmstock parish registers:

MANNING
    Baptisms: (Checked from 1750 to 1790)
    John Manning, son of John and Mary, 31 Oct 1762
    Robert Manning, son of J & M, 15 Feb 1766
    William Manning, son of J & M, 14 May 1769
    Grace Manning, daug of J & M, 08 Oct 1775

No marriage found for John & Mary Manning or Grace and George Taylor (checked to abt 1825).
    No baptism found for George Taylor. Didn't notice any Taylors at all.

Marriages:

Robert Manning & Ann Thomas (witnesses: Rich'd Pook, Samuel Potter) 29 Jul 1791
    William Manning & Joan Cotterel (wit: Thos Cotterel, Ann Manning) 09 May 1796
    Robert Manning & Ann Potter (wit: Robt Andrews, Louisa Manning) 20 Jun 1814

ANDREWS
    There were a number of Andrews listed but I didn't know who I was suppose to be looking for so only jotted down a few names.

Baptisms:
    Elizabeth Andrews, d of John & Ann 26 May 1751
    Ann Andrews, d of John & Ann 30 Mar 1755
    John Andrews, s of John & Ann 11 Apr 1757
    James Andrews, s of John & Elizabeth 24 Aug 1777
    John Andrews, s of John & Elizabeth 11 Apr 1779

If you have anything else you'd like looked up or can give me names or dates, let me know. Hope this helps.

Ron Leech

Default Culmstock BMD

Hi Caliope

Thank you very much for checking for me. That confirms the baptism of Grace as per the IGI. I had not previously looked for her siblings so that is very helpful.

It is also interesting that Grace's siblings appear to have married locally but not her.

I probably mislead you regarding Garce's marriage the IGI lists her marriage to George Taylor at St Leonard, Shoreditch in London on 14 February 1804.

Presumably her parents John and Mary Manning tied the knot elsewhere? Possibly Honiton in 1760?

It is interesting that the surname Taylor does not occur in the baptisms so puts paid to the idea that both Grace and George came from the same place or at least Culmstock.

I believe the marriage of Robert Manning to Ann Thomas produced Louisa Manning who subsequently married Robert Andrews. This couples son Samuel Andrews (born abt 1838) married Caroline Taylor the granddaughter George Taylor and Grace Manning taking her down to Culmstock to live.

It is the marriage in 1864 of Samuel Andrews and Caroline Taylor that caused interest why did a girl from Hackney in London meet and marry a man from Devon and was there an earlier family connection through Grace? Samuel was listed in the Hackney 1861 census living with a family named Fry who also appear to tie into the Taylor family. Caroline lived on the same road so that possibly explains how they met but it looks like there was already one or more family connections.

Once again thank you very much for your help.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Leech; 10-09-2008 at 7:29 AM. Reason: typo

GRHughes

Hi Caliope,

If you still have access to them I wondered if you could look up Pykes of Culmstock please? I have a James Pyke b.1842 Culmstock, son of John Pyke and Mary (nee Knight).

Although James' birth falls after 1837 and neither John nor Mary were born in Culmstock (Clayhidon and Sampford Peverell respectively) I wondered if there may be traces of siblings for James or even maybe a marriage for John and Mary.

Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

caliope

Hello!

To be honest, I'm not sure I still have the records as I haven't been to the LDS in a couple of months! I'm going next week and if the microfilm is still there, I'll be sure to have a look for you.

caliope

Hello Gareth,

I searched the Culmstock records on Tuesday and, unfortunately, was unable to find any information on your Pykes. The only Pykes I found were burials for Robert Pike age 79, 27 May 1821 and Mary Pike age 86, 7 May 1825. There were no P(i)(y)kes listed in the baptisms or marriages (plenty of Pooks, though!).

GRHughes

Hi Caliope,

That's a shame Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to look for me though

marbles2009

Default gillards

Hi,
    wondering if you can help me with some research i need from Culmstock in Devon as i am unable to travel down from yorkshire to find it out myself. I am researching a Hannah Gillard born 1823 in Culmstock, her parents i think were Daniel Gillard and Hannah. I think she had a sister called Elizabeth.
    Well I found a marriage record on IGI for a Hannah Gillard marrying a William Holley in 1843 (he was born around 1819 in Culmstock) but could find no other record that he existed, she then is shown to have changed her name to Hannah Holley on the 1851 census and has 2 children (later it shows 4 children, Mary Ann, Sarah Ann, James and Orsini), but on the 1861 sensus i think i have found her called Hannah Holway (the childrens name are the same but they have also become Holways rather than Holleys. I am trying to find out if this is the same person who either married twice or that the one married was recorded wrong on the IGI, or any explanation that can be found. I know that Orsini Holway has a mother called Hannah from Culmstock and that is as far as i know for certain about my family the rest is just from researching. If you can give me any help on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Helen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast