Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    tony bennett

Default george garrod of winfarthing norfolk

good morning everone i joined today and this is my first thread so i do not know what is expected of me really. i am stuck with an ancestor of my wife george garrod of winfarthing norfolk found him on 1901 census but cannot find him anywhere else help and advice please.

Procat

Hi Tony,

Can you post more information please. For example, when and where born, parents, wife, kids etc.

Often a person cannot be picked up in census but they can be found by for example, searching for the parent, or the spouse etc. or even a year and place of birth.

janbooth

Default George GARROD

Hi Tony,

We really need a few more details. If you have found him in the 1901, you should have an approximate date & place of birth. Is he the one born c1859 in Winfarthing and married to an Alice? If so, you may need to find his marriage certificate and obtain details of his father's name & profession as there seem to be at least a couple of George GARROD/GARRARD/GAROOD, etc in Winfarthing born around the same time.

Janet

tony bennett

Default george garrod

yes he is the one that you mentioned but i have searched in vain on the ancestry site for his marriage cert to alive and it isn't there. i suppose now the only way is to visit winfarthing and have a look at the parish register.. thanks for your help and avice

Procat

Have you got birth details for any of the kids?

If you get the certificate it will give you the surname of Alice which may find the marriage.

Geoffers

So everyone is aware, the 1901 entry would seem to be:
    RG13/1865 f69 p2
    Winfarthing
    George GARROD, hd, mar, 42, ag.lab, bn Winfarthing
    Alice, wf, mar, 25, bn Diss
    Beatrice Alice, dau, 3, bn Winfarthing
    Albert George, son, 1, bn Winfarthing

Your first step is to get a birth certificate of one of the children of George and Alice - do you have this?

A birth certificate will give you the mother's maiden name, which will then help you to try and locate a marriage to George.

Procat

By the way,

Have you seen this from Free BMD:

Marriages Dec 1897
    Cattermole Alice Depwade 4b 663
    Garroad George Depwade 4b 663

Depwade includes Winfarthing.

Geoffers

PS - do remember to look for variant spellings of surnames, for example in 1891, you chap may possibly appear as follows

RG12/1547 f119 p12
    Short Green, Winfarthing
    Mathew GARRARD, hd, mar, 73, farm labourer, bn Winfarthing
    Orpha GARRARD, wf, mar, 72, bn Winfarthing
    George GARRARD, son, mar, 34, farm labourer, bn Winfarthing

From feebmd, could your chap then have married in Dec qtr 1893
    George Allen GARRARD, Forehoe District, vol 4b page 467
    a corresponding entry exists for
    Alice Bertha ANSCOMBE, Forehoe District, vol 4b, page 467

But then there is also a Dec 1897 entry for George GARROAD and Alice ANSCOMBE. Do also remember to try other variants, GARRETT is common in Norfolk as is GARROD

But without the birth certificate for a child, you cannot be sure that either is the correct marriage. If you are not sure how to apply for certificates, please ask.

Procat

1891 census has at RG12; Piece: 1544; Folio 71; Page 18

Alice Cattermole, 14, Born Diss, Norfolk.

Might be the one in the FreeBMD entry.

But as Geoffers states you really need a birth certificate of one of the kids.

tony bennett

thanks yes that is the george garrod my wife is descended from the son albert george garrod who was born in 1900. the son married lucy mullinger nee self on 19th oct 1921and their marriage certificate is all i have managed to get so far. it is no help as the witnesses were two members of the self family and A.taylor. i have traced and proved the Self family back to the 1770's which is why i am finding the garrods frustrating to say the least. thanks for all your efforts regards tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast