Quote Originally Posted by Rove View Post
I worked with R.E.M.E. as a civilian tradesman just after WW2.

R.E.M.E. servicemen were all round tradesmen. Most of them could handle both mechanical and electrical work. They were very good tradesmen. Some worked on hyraulics and diesel engines others were typewriter mechanics. Radio / wireless technicians and motor mechanics. I worked with them on static anti aircraft guns and huge searchlights. Also on electrical generating equipment both static and mobile.

After the war we were carrying out modifications to various type of war equipment.
Had to have a giggle at your post, Rove, as I always understood my dad was in R.E.M.E., but he certainly doesn't fit your description. Handyman was never a word used in the same sentence as his name, unless you included the word 'not'. I think the only bit of DIY he ever did was to put up a very small shelf in the kitchen. I think he must have put it up by measuring the distance from the ceiling - or else he used a wonky spirit-level.
Though he did work for the local electrical company before he got called up, though I think it must have been a pen-pusher's job because he certainly wasn't an electrician.
Pam