Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.E.M.E.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Estella

Default R.E.M.E.

|help I am trying to to find out about my father's military history - he died in 1979 and all his papers were destroyed just prior to my mothers death. My understanding is that he was a regular soldier between 1934 - 1946. I know that he served in North Africa, Greece, Italy etc., and that he was in the REME, he was also something to do with a parachute regiment.... I have contacted the people at military records but without something else to go on they can't help me. Can anyone help with any ideas or maybe have any information about him. His name was Jack Probyn, born 1919, in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. (I think he may have been economical with his date of birth when he joined up), The only reference I can find is to another Jack Probyn, born in SoT, but who was in a Scottish Regiment and who died during the II world war. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Procat

Hi Estella,

Do you have his medals? Unless things changed between WWI & WWII his service number should be on the edge. That may help the records folk identify him.

Estella

Default R.E.M.E

Hi Procat,

Thanks for this, but, sadly no,I don't have anything at all.
    Also I think I put the wrong abbreviations- it should have been the 'Royal Engineers'. Got a bit confused ther for a moment or more.

Estella

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Estella
    |help I am trying to to find out about my father's military history - he died in 1979 and all his papers were destroyed just prior to my mothers death. My understanding is that he was a regular soldier between 1934 - 1946. I know that he served in North Africa, Greece, Italy etc., and that he was in the REME, he was also something to do with a parachute regiment.... I have contacted the people at military records but without something else to go on they can't help me.
    Just to be clear - have you tried to trace his record using advice in the following link?

Have you tried a regimental museum to see if they can help?

Do you have any photos of him which may clarify his rank and unit?

Was he an officer?

When he left the army - what did he do for a living? Is there any record which shows his former rank, number and regiment?

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Smile

I can't help with his number but if he fought in Greece in 1941 this should narrow down his Unit.
    W Force was sent to Greece in April 1941. It was primary an Australian and New Zealand force but with British 1 Armoured Brigade attached under command of 6 Australian Division.
    The RE element of 1 Armoured Brigade were :-
    3rd Field Squadron, 142nd Field Park Squadron, and 292nd Army Field Company.
    Have you tried the RE Museum?
    https://www.remuseum.org.uk/index.htm
    Keith

freddie999

Default R.E.M.E.

My grandfather was involved in WW1, I have seen papers which indicates that he was part of the REME regiment. during my google searches, I saw a short description suggesting that REME was set up during WW2. Can my grandfather have been with REME in WW1? Does anyone have any idea what the would be doing, and where (at the front, in the trenches?)

Thanks

Craig

Toronto

Default Airborne Engineers in the Second world war

I was in the Parachute regiment 3rd battalion. We had Engineers as part of the Regiment. (9 Squadron)

However, see the following for the second world war Airborne Engineers.

Mike Mrris
    Toronto Canada
    Airborne Engineers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On 22 June 1940 the Prime Minister Mr Winston Churchill announced that the British Army would have a Corps of at least five thousand parachute troops. Two days later a Royal Engineer officer, Major J F Rock, was ordered to take charge of the organisation of airborne troops and to collaborate with the RAF in their training. Thus, once again, a Royal Engineer officer was called upon to develop a new branch of our armed forces.

Pegasus - the flash of airborne troops
    So named after a mythological winged horse, born from the blood of the Gorgon Medusa when Perseus decapitated her. Pegasus was fond of drinking from the spring of Peirene at Corinth. It was here that the Bellerophon, in need of a mount on which to attack the Chimaera, found the steed and tamed it with a golden bridle given him by Athena. When 1 Airborne Division was formed in November 1941, the Chief Engineer Home Forces had already earmarked 9 Field Company and 261 Field Park Company to form the nucleus of the parachute divisional engineers. Ultimately it was decided that the Division would consist of two parachute and one glider-borne brigades. For these two parachute squadrons, a glider borne field company and a field park company RE were required. The field company was of normal organisation, the field park had no bridging section and the parachute squadrons had no transport except hand carts, and later, jeeps.

When 6 Airborne Division was formed in the spring of 1943, the scale of Royal Engineers support was very similar and included a RE Postal Unit.
    From early 1941 a number of raids were carried out by airborne troops against enemy installations. In February 1941 airborne Sappers partially demolished the Frazino aquaduct near Salerno and caused considerable alarm and consternation throughout Italy. 1 Parachute Squadron RE also distinguished itself in Sicily in 1943 when they helped in the capture of the Primasole Bridge. In Operation Market Garden at Arnhem the airborne Sapper units upheld the best fighting traditions of the Corps. Tasked with the seizure of the main Arnhem bridge, and the subsidiary pontoon bridge, and the removal of enemy demolition charges, the men of 1 and 4 Parachute Squadrons RE became intimately involved in the bitter fighting that characterised the Arnhem operation.
    Parachutists exiting a RAF Douglas 1940's

9 Parachute Squadron RE
    Clearing culverts in the Falkland Islands 1982 During the Rhine crossing in March 1945, airborne Sappers assisted in seizing the bridges over the River Issel. Airborne RE units subsequently saw service in Palestine in 1945 and in Malaya and Singapore during reoccupation.

The only airborne Sapper unit now in existence is 9 Parachute Squadron RE based in Aldershot and part of 36 Engineer Regiment which supports 5 Airborne Brigade. The all-volunteer squadron is fully parachute trained and has a squadron headquarters, three troops and a support troop. In April 1982, the Squadron embarked for the Falkland Islands as part of 5 Infantry Brigade. In true sapper tradition, the Squadron was involved in the thick of the action from clearing minefields to repairing bridges. Sergeant Ron Wrega and Corporal John Foran both won the Military Medal for their actions and maintained the fine traditions of the Squadron.

After the Falklands War, the Squadron had tours in Belize, Kenya, the Falklands and Canada. In 1987, in the Royal Engineers 200th Anniversary Year, the Squadron was selected to provide the Royal Guard. After six weeks of intense training, the Squadron provided the Guard for Buckingham Palace and St James’ Palace and also the Guard for the Tower of London.
    Web links

9 Parachute Squadron RE www.ninepara.co.uk
    Airborne Engineers Association www.rogallo.co.uk/
    Allied Special Forces Association - Roll of Honour www.alliedspecialforces.org
    Source:

The Royal Engineers - (RE 200 brochure, Institute of Royal Engineers, Chatham 1987)
    9 Parachute Squadron RE website

Links to further reading:

Corps History - The Corps and the Second World War
    Campaign History - Royal Engineers and Operation Overlord
    Campaign History - 6th Airborne Divisional Engineers - D Day 1944

Reputation beyond repute

Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
    formed (AO 70, May 1942) by personnel drawn chiefly from Royal Army Ordnance Corps, and also Royal Army Service Corps, Royal Engineers, and Royal Signals, in order to provide recovery, repair and maintenance of more complex weapons and vehicles not within the capability of their own units

So he couldn't have been in REME before WW2.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999 View Post
    Can my grandfather have been with REME in WW1?
    See above

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what the would be doing, and where (at the front, in the trenches?)
    What does his medal card say?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...=*&queryType=1

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default R.E.M.E.

I worked with R.E.M.E. as a civilian tradesman just after WW2.

R.E.M.E. servicemen were all round tradesmen. Most of them could handle both mechanical and electrical work. They were very good tradesmen. Some worked on hyraulics and diesel engines others were typewriter mechanics. Radio / wireless technicians and motor mechanics. I worked with them on static anti aircraft guns and huge searchlights. Also on electrical generating equipment both static and mobile.

After the war we were carrying out modifications to various type of war equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast