Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.E.M.E.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rove View Post
    I worked with R.E.M.E. as a civilian tradesman just after WW2.

R.E.M.E. servicemen were all round tradesmen. Most of them could handle both mechanical and electrical work. They were very good tradesmen. Some worked on hyraulics and diesel engines others were typewriter mechanics. Radio / wireless technicians and motor mechanics. I worked with them on static anti aircraft guns and huge searchlights. Also on electrical generating equipment both static and mobile.

After the war we were carrying out modifications to various type of war equipment.
    Had to have a giggle at your post, Rove, as I always understood my dad was in R.E.M.E., but he certainly doesn't fit your description. Handyman was never a word used in the same sentence as his name, unless you included the word 'not'. I think the only bit of DIY he ever did was to put up a very small shelf in the kitchen. I think he must have put it up by measuring the distance from the ceiling - or else he used a wonky spirit-level.
    Though he did work for the local electrical company before he got called up, though I think it must have been a pen-pusher's job because he certainly wasn't an electrician.
    Pam

Hi...Am trying to research my father's Military Service. He was Craftsman Roland Stephen Alexander No 2760088 and he served in the R.E.M.E. in WW2 Thanks in advance

A fountain of knowledge

Les, his service records will still be held only at the MOD.

You won't find anything online or outside of the MOD unless he had a gallantry medal, was made a POW or was killed/went missing or wounded in action.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ccess-requests

This is because many full records from 1922 onwards (including WWII and National Service thereafter) are still regarded as 'restricted' and are only available from the M.O.D themselves: no one else will have full access to them.

Thi is an old thread but JIC anyone is reading it all the way through 'procat' was incorrect -WWII campaign medals do not have names/numbers engraved upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999 View Post
    My grandfather was involved in WW1, I have seen papers which indicates that he was part of the REME regiment. during my google searches, I saw a short description suggesting that REME was set up during WW2. Can my grandfather have been with REME in WW1? Does anyone have any idea what the would be doing, and where (at the front, in the trenches?)

Thanks

Craig
    REME was formed in 1942 ww11 , I served with them from 72 to 78 after serving 10 field workshops Tidworth ,this is where my father was born strangely enough ,
    Then attached to 1 RRF in CAMBRIDGE where I travelled world wide attached to Z company in NI where I was the first non fusilier to receive the Z company merit award for services in NI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12