Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alias??

AnnB

This might help you with the Ley/Kempthorne alias. Taken from "Ancient West Country Families" -

'The family of Kempthorne derives its name from an ancient estate in the parish of Clawton, Devon, where it is probable they continued to reside for a considerable period, but eventually, in all probability about the beginning of the fifteenth century, upon failure of male issue of the elder line, the estates passed with the heiress to a younger son of the Leys of Beerferris, who settled at Kempthorne, and in course of time wrote themselves Ley, Ley alias Kempthorne, or Kempthorne alone.'

This is taken from a chapter entitled "Ley alias Kempthorne of Tonacombe". If you would like a copy of the rest, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll scan it and send it to you.

Best wishes
    Ann

Hugh Thompson

Talking ailas

Thanks everyone,Ash,Christine,
    Michael, Mark, Guy and Ann,I think you've covered it all,it's starting to make more sense now. Regards Hugh.ps.hello again Mark, and Ann I've PM'd you about the copy.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have a child in my family who was baptised as Alias Elizabeth Tickle. Any idea of what that might mean?

terrysfamily

I have this in my tree too, they hail from North Lincolnshire.

The family name started of as RATTEN, RATTON and RATON, sometimes all 3 for the same person.

The next generation’s Baptisms had their names as RATON alias DRAYTON, RATON or DRAYTON and RATON/ DRAYTON.

The next generation all went by the name DRAYTON and has stayed that way down the generations.

Maybe that’s why I can’t get any further back than Thomas RATON b.1690 (somewhere in Lincolnshire)

It certainly makes it interesting trying to find them.

Terry

Hugh Thompson

HI Tanya, I've never seen an alias at the front of someone's name, more than likely a misspelled first name, eg, Alice, Elise or something similar, plenty of those in the PR's.
    Terry, there's no end of different versions of spelling in my family's entries!!!
    Hugh.

spison

Hi Tanya,
    I suspect that Hugh may be correct. I have an ancestor who was Alice on later written records but who was Allas initially.
    Jane

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by t@nya View Post
    I have a child in my family who was baptised as Alias Elizabeth Tickle. Any idea of what that might mean?
    I've got an Elizabeth Tickle known as Agnes.
    Does yours come from Plymouth and marries a Daniel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I've got an Elizabeth Tickle known as Agnes.
    Does yours come from Plymouth and marries a Daniel?
    No, she comes from Droitwich, Worcestershire. Sorry.

It could be a misspelt first name but during the time she was baptised, early 1700s, that wasn't very common (having a first and second name).

I just noticed that Alias Elizabeth's parents had baptised an earlier child, Elizabeth, so maybe that's why the Alias was appended to the front of Alias Elizabeth's name.

Hugh Thompson

I'd love to know the story behind that.
    Hugh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast