Thread: Fancote

susan9681

Default Fancote

Hi
    Trying to find any information of Fancotes in New Zealand, a Henry Fancote/Fancoat went over there in the 1800s. with his family
    Henry died 1917 in Dunedin.
    any help appriciated
    Sue

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by susan9681 View Post
    Hi
    Trying to find any information of Fancotes in New Zealand, a Henry Fancote/Fancoat went over there in the 1800s. with his family Henry died 1917 in Dunedin.
    any help appriciated Sue

Hi Sue,

I note that a Kiwi volunteer, Cyril FANCOURT, son of Henry and Sarah, was killed in the Great War. If that's them, the different spelling might turn up something in a Google search.

Good luck,

Lenore

1915Nov08 4/947 Sapper FANCOURT Cyril Douglas NZE KIA Gallipoli Son of Henry and Sarah Fancourt; husband of Nellie D. Fancourt (now McMaster), of 50, Eskvale St., Musselburgh, Dunedin, New Zealand. Native of Dunedin. TURKEY - EMBARKATION PIER CEMETERY
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sooty/nzefrohF.html

Delwyn

Smile

Hi Sue,

It appears from my searches the family in NZ went by the FANCOURT name. Not a FANCOTE/COAT to be seen.

First off: Henry FANCOURT buried in Northern Dunedin in 1917, aged 84. No family in the same cemetery.

Then back to the beginning:
    Henry FANCOURT married 1884/3505 to Sarah Brettell SARGENT

They appear to have had only two children. Amy b 8 June 1887 and Cyril b 14 Apr 1892, who attended North East Valley School, with a home address of Opoho.

Amy Isabel m.1912/3756 to Peter Angus MITCHELL

Cyril Douglas m.1915/4115 to Nellie Dunn TAYLOR

He attended Dunedin Technical classes in 1908 and 1909, first as a plumber's assistant then as a plumber.

Cyril died in 1915 at The Dardanelles, Gallipoli, Turkey
    His will is held at Archive NZ, Dunedin office. Filed 19 Mar 1916, ref DAAC 9075 D239 3487

Henry's wife Sarah can be found on the 1893 electoral rolls: Sarah Brettel FANCOURT, 6 Street, Opoho, Domestic duties

Henry and Sarah's wills can both be ordered from Archives NZ, Wellington office.

Henry's was filed 13 Aug 1917 (Henry was a retired clerk, of Dunedin)
    ref: AAOM 6029 21404
    Sarah's filed 4 Mar 1919 (she was of Auckland, widow)
    ref: AAOM 6029 25596

There was also a big family of Fancourts headed by Charles St John Fancourt in Dunedin about the same time as this lot.

Happy hunting
    Delwyn

Delwyn

I meant to say too, you should check out the Archives NZ website archway.archives.govt.nz, and the National Library (of NZ) site paperspast.natlib.govt.nz lots of good stuff can be found from these two.

Delwyn

Delwyn

Looks like I can't stay away!

There was another child. He died 19 Oct 1886, at Daisy Bank, Opoho, named Fred. William Harold, aged 11 months.

And apparently Henry was a bit of an inventor: 1887, a wringing and mangling machine, and then in 1898 Henry Fancourt, of Dunedin, improvements in kitchen ranges.

Amazing the things you turn up...

Happy hunting,
    Delwyn

susan9681

Hi Im sorry its taken so long to thank you for your help, I didnt know Id had any replies and just happened to be looking round. It has helped me alot and Im about to look at the web sites.
    thanks once more
    Sue

Delwyn

You are very welcome. Pleased to be able to help.

Delwyn