kikijewstringfe

Smile A mess up or mystery, I hope I can find out!

K I am new to this site but I am having a hard time matching information up with the information I get on the computer which should already match up but for some strange reason it don't...... I am here cause no matter what I have looked at or where I have looked. I have found only one thing that comes close to what my famliy has down as a oral and recorded according to what we have been told going on down the line.

Here it is for ya........

there are a lot of George's in this story so I will try no to make it so confusing. Jospeh and Lucy Stringfellow had 8 kids one already named George Albert Stringfellow and they had a daughter named Hannah Stringfellow. They adopted another child named George Stringfellow. I have looked up they adopted George but was only able to find him on about two census. The family story behind George is he was born out of wedlock and Joseph and Lucy Stringfellow took him in.
    I just want some kind of proof that this story is either fake or true. I have a feeling that it is true. Here is George's information and to make sure it is the right one (TRUST me I am looking for him at this moment and there are so many George Stringfellows I am about ready to throw the computer through the window.)

George Stringfellow
    Birth: 1836
    Where: Hucknall, Nottinghamshire, England
    Married: 1854 to Hannah Stringfellow
    Died: July 12, 1860
    Where: Sutton, In Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, England
    Buried:July 15, 1860
    Where:Sutton, In Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, England
    Parents: James Croft and Mary Stringfellow

Here is his wife Hannah's inforamtion as well,

Hannah Stringfellow
    Birth: March 12, 1837
    Where: Hucknell, Earthwaite, Nottinghamshire, England
    Christening: March 26,1837
    Where: Sutton, In Ashfield, Nottingham, England
    Died: October 8, 1896
    Where: Draper, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
    Buried: October 11, 1896
    Parents: Joseph Stringfellow and Lucy Tagg

Any kind of information would be helpful please I have been doing research on George Stringfe for over four years and I keep feeling there is more to the story that no one has found out yet. Please if you can help that would be great.
    Katie

bumblebee

Would it help to put the census returns on and try and clarify the family

George Stringfellow 6
    Hannah Stringfellow 3
    Joseph Stringfellow 45
    Joseph Stringfellow 15
    Luce Stringfellow 40
    Marthers Stringfellow 1
    Robert Stringfellow 23
    Samuel Stringfellow 10
    Thomas Stringfellow 13

Piece 861; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Skegby; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 12; Page: 19; Line: 2

Sutton in Ashfield

John Holehouse 19 Lodger
    George Stringfellow 17 born Hucknall,
    Hannah Stringfellow 14
    Joseph Stringfellow 63
    Joseph Stringfellow 27
    Lucy Stringfellow 53
    Martha Stringfellow 10
    Robert Stringfellow 32
    Samuel Stringfellow 19

Piece: 2123; Folio: 434; Page: 22

Sutton in Ashfield

John Scott 18 Boarder
    George Stringfellow 26 Son unmarried
    George Stringfellow 11 Mo Grandson
    Hannah Stringfellow 25 Widow, Daughter
    Lucy Stringfellow 65 Head, Widow
    Lucy Stringfellow 5 Granddaughter
    Martha Stringfellow 20 Daughter, unmarried
    Richard Stringfellow 2 Grandson
    Samuel Stringfellow 28 Son, unmarried

Piece: 2426; Folio: 40; Page: 31

So Hannah Stringfellow the daughter married another George Stringfellow in 1854, became a widow - so was it the grandson that was bought up as another son?

Bumblebee

bumblebee

Looking around the family on the IGI most of the records seem to be submitted so may be unreliable.

Bumblebee

bumblebee

If you think this family are yours and this marriage is relevant I would send for the marriage certificate, George Stringfellow, 1854 Q2 Mansfield 7b 102

On the same page - Hannah Stringfellow, (John Spencer, Rebecca Shaw)

Once you have a few certificates it might be easier to work out who is who.

I cannot find a reference to a George Albert Stringfellow.

Bumblebee

bumblebee

There is a discrepancy with the burial record of George Stringfellow in 1860.

George Stringfellow aged 40 (1820) buried 14th July 1860, Sutton In Ashfield. (ie not the George who was born in 1834)

This may be his death registration - George Stringfellow, 1860 Q3 Mansfield 7b 29

Bumblebee

kikijewstringfe

The third family seems to match up with what I have on Hannah Stringfellow.
    the eleven year might be the son of Hannah and George Stringfellow. I am trying to confrim the rumor surrounding his father and Hannah Stringfellow's husband the first George Stringfellow.
    How would I go about asking for the marriage license of Hannah and George Stringfellow? That might help me shed some light on things.
    Thank you so much for finding these families for me. I have been getting stuck with the name George Stringfellow for awhile now. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

bumblebee

Hi Kikijewstringfe

Pleased to have been of help.

The families on the census above are all the same family, (not different families) from the 1841, 1851 and then the 1861 census.

Also I am sure that the grandchild George is 11 months not eleven years on the 1861 census, born 1860 Sutton in Ashfield. This could be his birth registration - George Stringfellow, 1860 Q2 Mansfield 7b 60 - you could consider sending for this certificate to see who was named as the parents.

You can apply for your certificates online via the GRO, my husband applies for them online and he is in the United Arab Emirates, so distance is not a problem.

This is the link to the Website

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

If there is anything you have a problem with come back to the thread and let us know.

Bumblebee

Berek

If you find out anything please let me know...I could have written your same request. There are so many Geroges that it is mind boggling. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe we are related.

Berek, I'm afraid that Kikijewstringfe has not been on the forum since November 2008 so you might not get an answer.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time