Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CanadianCousin

Hi bobob,

Thanks very much for your reply. From what I can tell by looking at TNA's website, the CUST 60 series appears to only cover Outport records. As my gg-gf spent his entire Customs career in London, I assume that his records would be in CUST 39 or CUST 40, although I stand to be corrected. Hopefully, the same type of information (e.g., Ages and Capacities) was also recorded for officers serving in London.

It sounds as if you've had some experience looking at the CUST records at Kew - is that correct? If so, how difficult was it to find information about a particular individual? What I'm really asking, I suppose, is this something I could ask SKS to look for if they were going to Kew anyway, or do I need to hire a professional researcher? Your thoughts, comments, etc... would be most appreciated.

Welcome to B-G Forums by the way - I'm fairly new here myself, but this is an excellent site, with many knowledgeable and helpful members.

Thanks again -

Tim in Ottawa

bobob

Tim'
    I have only researched 1 ancestor in the Customs, and that was over ten years ago. The Port of London Records are in CUST 102. At a quick glance the Ages and Capacities Books seem to start at CUST 102/331 for 1824-7 and go through to CUST 102/344 for 1869-76. I am assuming from your note you are familiar with the Catalogue and using the site www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. If you pick the years that he worked there from your other researches, someone should be able to look through the books for you.

CanadianCousin

Thanks very much for that information, bobob.

The TNA research guide for Customs officers and Excise men does mention "ages and capacities", but gives the impression that these exist only for outports. Since you pointed out the existence of CUST 102, I was able to track down the years I need.

Now I just need to find someone going to Kew, with some additional time on their hands ... any volunteers?

Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12