Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reeve Whitbread

Fiona67

Default Reeve Whitbread

Hi
    I am looking for Reeve Whitbread b about 1867 Bury St Edmunds. I found him in the 1901 Census married to Florence J with children Beatrice, Reginald & Spence. They were living in Croydon Surrey in 1901. I can't find any other mention of the family. Can anyone please help?

Regards
    Fiona

Jan1954

Hi Fiona,

Do you have him in the 1871 - 1891 censuses or is that what you are unable to find?

Fiona67

I can't find him in any other census or on Free bdm or the IGI
    Last edited by Fiona67; 11-07-2008 at 9:15 AM. Reason: correct the info

bjelkier

Two possibles although the transcriptions for 'Reeve' are a bit off.
    1871 in Birmingham has a 'Rivey' with parents and siblings in Birmingham - RG10/3094 Folio 29 Page 8.
    1881 'Rely' living with Aunt and Uncle in Tottenham [getting closer to Croyden] - RG11/1384 Folio 115 Page 11

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona67
    I am looking for Reeve Whitbread b about 1867 Bury St Edmunds. I found him in the 1901 Census married to Florence J with children Beatrice, Reginald & Spence. They were living in Croydon Surrey in 1901. I can't find any other mention of the family. Can anyone please help?
    Is this reference from a modern indexed transcript, or an image of the census return? I may possibly be the case that if this is the only reference yo have found, that it has been incorrectly recorded,

In your shoes, I would check that the name is correctly recorded by hunting out the birth certifiacte of one of the named children. This would give the added benefit of providing the mother's maiden name.

With mother's maiden name you could make a stab at locating the marriage certificate and then the borh certificate for this chap.............just checking freebmd, I see that in Sept 1867 the birth of a Reby WHITBREAD was registered in Thinge district.

Also that in Sept 1890, a Reby WHITBREAD married in Fulham. In the same quarter and year and with the same reference there is a corresponding entry for Florence Janet BOTTOMLEY. Of course, these may not be the correct people/entries; as mentioned a birth certificate for one of their children may clarify things.

Fiona67

Thank you for your help.....I had wondered if his name had been incorrectly recorded.....I just wasn't sure what it would have been. I think looking for a birth certificate is the way to go. Thanks so much

Fiona

Fiona67

I've just found Reby Whitbread & Florence on the Scottish 1891 Census

Fiona

Geoffers

They moved around a bit then!

Taking the names of the children you mentioned, there seem several likely matches on freebmd - do remember to check the reference against the full GRO index.

Please let us know how you get on.

Fiona67

Sorry to sound naive but I am in Australia......is their anyway for me to Access the GRO?

Geoffers

The General Register Office (GRO) indexes of births, and marriages, and deaths are available online on various pay-per-view sites, such as findmypast, The Genealogist, etc.

Using freebmd, you can view a copy of the GRO index for many pages. Carry out a search, look across to the right of the list of results and you should see a pair of spectacles - click on that and you will get to view the original page (though the quality is often not as good as it is on the pay sites).

Certificates can then be ordered online direct from the GRO

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast