Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CHARLES SMITH

Loves to help with queries

Default CHARLES SMITH

I can't really find any connection to a Charles Smith (b. around 1819) in my family, but I came across a newspaper report about him, dated 26th February 1887.

It refers to his wife Lucy Smith (formerly Austin) who was born around 1829. They had two children living with them at the time - Oceana aged 17 and Albert aged 11. They were reported as being gypsies and he was from Barford Oxfordshire apparently. His sister then late sister was mentioned and it said she was the wife of a Wisdom Smith and had died about 1885 at the age of 90 (i.e. born around 1795).

Does this mean anything to anyone, if so, I'm quite happy to share the newpaper report with you?

A fountain of knowledge.

I would imagine this is to do with Wisdom Smith who married Priscilla Bagley.

Wesdon (as hes been transcribed in 1861 at Headington Ox) b.1823 Short Hampton Ox
    Precilla wife b.1821 Brackley Nthants
    Sampson son 18
    Ann S dtr 17
    Patience dtr 15
    Ocean dtr 13
    Luerritia dtr 11
    Wesdon son 9
    Mary A dtr 4
    Jemima dtr 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ann65 View Post
    I would imagine this is to do with Wisdom Smith who married Priscilla Bagley.

Wesdon (as hes been transcribed in 1861 at Headington Ox) b.1823 Short Hampton Ox
    Precilla wife b.1821 Brackley Nthants
    Sampson son 18
    Ann S dtr 17
    Patience dtr 15
    Ocean dtr 13
    Luerritia dtr 11
    Wesdon son 9
    Mary A dtr 4
    Jemima dtr 1
    Yes, Ann, you're quite right this is who it's about, I managed to track down the family but I can't find any connection within my family to him, so I thought I'd see if it was of interest to anyone else.

BG

A fountain of knowledge.

Found Charles in 1871:

Moreton Field and Nth Weston, Ox
    Class: RG10; Piece: 1431; Folio: 79; Page: 4

Charles Smith 50 Peg Maker b.Barber Ox
    Lucy Smith 40 Chair Bottomer Manaton Wilts
    Licia Smith 18 Bird Minding Hale Surrey
    Elizabeth Smith 13 Cassington Ox
    Ochennie Smith 8mo Moreton Field Ox (transcribed as Elchennie)
    Charlotte Austin 68 Wid Mother Net Maker Iver, Wilts

A fountain of knowledge.

oops. Sorry got carried away

oops. Sorry got carried away

I've found them on 1881 census, but you won't find them after that as Charles murdered his wife and was hanged!!!!!!

It would appear that there was a connection between Charles and a Wisdom Smith as the newspaper article I have makes reference to the defendant having 3 sisters :-

1 sister living at Marston
    1 at Headington Quarry
    and the third who is dead - the late wife of Mr Wisdom Smith of Barton, near Headington.

Charles wife's maiden name was Austin and from Tetsworth. The mother of the deceased died 2/3 years ago at the age of about 90.

BG

A fountain of knowledge.

WOW now theres a good story!

my 4times great aunt was Priscilla Biggadike, the first woman hung by private execution at Lincoln Castle in 1868. She hung for poisoning her husband Richard with arsenic. Story goes that the 'Lodger dun it', and she was given a posthumous pardon. And they werent even on the Gypsy side of my family!!

I believe that Wisdom Smith was a descendant of Jasper Smith and Catherine Beetles.

WOW now theres a good story!

my 4times great aunt was Priscilla Biggadike, the first woman hung by private execution at Lincoln Castle in 1868. She hung for poisoning her husband Richard with arsenic. Story goes that the 'Lodger dun it', and she was given a posthumous pardon. And they werent even on the Gypsy side of my family!!

I believe that Wisdom Smith was a descendant of Jasper Smith and Catherine Beetles.
    Poison seems very tame by comparison to this one, according to Ocean (daughter) he used to make pegs, skewers and baskets and apparently he beat his wife with his walking stick and then clubbed her to death with the hammer he used !!! YUK!!!

I did wonder about Jasper and Catherine but still can't make a connection to my Wisdom Smith, I don't think there is a connection, just the same name!! Gruesome, but interesting newspaper report nevertheless.

BG

A fountain of knowledge.

I honestly cant remember if there is a relationship between Jasper Smith and Cain Smith who was father of Wisdom b.1763. It may well be there is a relationship which has never been found or known, way back in the mists of time.

With such an unusual forename, and the reoccurance of it within two reasonably isolated Smith family groups (the ones in the midlands and the ones in oxford) which arent REALLY that far apart in Rom terms, Id say it was a certainty. We just cant prove it.

A fountain of knowledge.

PS I dont know. the story of Richards sickness all night and pain and vomiting everywhere, I think Id rather get a hammer in the skull (as long as he did that first, although I bet he didnt.)

The only thing I do know is I went to the Colindale Newspaper Library (then in Hendon) to read up the reports of her trial and execution. The report of the latter was pretty harrowing - back in the days before carefully measured long drops, the victim slowly strangled, and apparently Calcraft put the noose about her back to front with the knot under her chin. The report said 'The dying womans struggles were protracted'. I felt terribly sad for her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast