Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very vague

Rachie

Default very vague

I have a relation whos death is recorded in fiji. I believe she emigrated after her husband was killed in WW1. How would I go about finding info on her?
    Many thanks

v.wells

You do not say when or where she was born. Have you tried findmypast.com for passenger lists? Have you googled gov't records Fiji? Army service records/ or CWGC for those killed in action WW1 sometimes list next of kin details enabling you a jumping off point.

*bunty*

I too would use the angle of exploring the records available from WWI. This may give you some further information. Bear in mind that Fiji did not become independent until 1970 and a republic in the late 1980s. Before then it was a British Colony, and I suspect it was under the government of New Zealand as a 'caretaker' on behalf of the UK. Perhaps NZ archives hold the BMDs for Fiji?

AnnB

I've had a quick rootle around and found a reference on the Rootsweb/Ancestry site which might be of some use?

Best wishes
    Ann
    Last edited by Jan1954; 09-07-2008 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Link to Ancestry

Rachie

Thanks for the info and suggestions.
    I have found his listing on CWGC,
    Pte Sidney Harrison.
    L/7143 1st Bn Queens own (Royal West Kent)
    died age 29 on 13 sept 1914.
    Son of William and Clara Harrison, husband of Edith Harrison, of 532 Old Kent Road, London.
    I know he had a son Ernest S Harrison, b 1912, he died in Gisborne NZ, He married Nancy Trew from Camberwell,he had 2 daughters who were born in Fiji, one of which married in Australia.
    I cannot find a death listing for Edith, which made me wonder if she also went overseas. but, just to add to the confusion I cannot find a marriage cert for Ernest and Nancy either.
    my head hurts

Growing old Disgracefully

Hi Rachie

Have you found Sidney with is parents on 1901 census and his marriage to Edith McNally ?

sandy

Rachie

Hi Sandy,
    Yes I have him there, and his marriage record, june 1911 in camberwell.I have Ernests DOB as 5/2/1912, but I dont have the certificate as yet for more details.

v.wells

findmypast will also have army births deaths and marriages overseas to see if Ernest is there. Also you can search GRO indexes births using harrison for surname and McNally maiden name - will only list up to maybe 1926 but it is a start, after that you will have to search by year and quarter.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Rachie View Post
    I have a relation whos death is recorded in fiji. I believe she emigrated after her husband was killed in WW1. How would I go about finding info on her?
    Many thanks
    Rachie

How did you come by this information, do you have a copy of the death cert. what dose it say on it. Who was the informant of the death etc....

Sandy

Rachie

Hi Sandy, as i say it all a bit vague (rather like me)
    I better start at the beginning...
    Sidney harrison married Edith Mcnally in 1911, son Ernest S Harrison b 1912.
    Sidney died in 1914. It was thought throughout the family that edith and Ernest went to Australia.
    I was then contacted by a lady in Australia, her father was Ernest and mother was Nancy Trew, nancy died shortly after this ladies sister was born in Suva Fiji 1953. Ernest died in 1996 in Gisbourne Zew Zealand, the younger sister died in Brisbane.
    What happened to Edith I dont know, I can find no info,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast