solsticedreamer

Default mystery relative

i am hoping someone can help me with the biggest mystery in my family tree to date!

my great x 3 grandfather Richard Hawkins (b.1836, Portchester, Portsmouth,Hampshire,UK) married Emma Sparkes (c. 1836 Cosham, Portsea,Hampshire) in Portsea in 1858.
    His father is Charles (b.1810 Portchester;his mother Charlotte Knight (b.1806 Portchester)

I think I have found him in the 1841 census in what could be a childrens home in Portsea (Charlotte died in 1839) with a 'James' Hawkins which is possibly a mistake as he had a sister named Jane (b.1838)

in the 1851 census he is listed as living back with his father Charles and his second wife Elizabeth Chase and his half brother William

following his 1858 marriage he then vanishes from the records I have accessed, I have followed Emma through the years with four children from 1858 and 1868; Elizabeth, Charles (my great x 2 grandfather), Jane and Emma.
    In the 1861 census Emma is listed as head of house and married, in the 1871 listed as a widow.

My initial thought is that he was a mariner of some kind and was at sea at the time of the census~how would i follow this up? and where do i go from here?!

thanks all

Mutley

In 1861 it looks like Emma is living with the children and her family so it is possible that he was away at sea. He returns to father more children so he has not 'gone away' completely.
    There are other mariners on the same page.

What occupation does it say on their marriage certificate?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    In 1861 it looks like Emma is living with the children and her family so it is possible that he was away at sea. He returns to father more children so he has not 'gone away' completely.
    There are other mariners on the same page.

What occupation does it say on their marriage certificate?
    Tut, tut, Mutley. Assumption. No proof Richard was the father unless you've seen either a birth certificate or baptism record.
    Pam

Mutley

You are quite right Pam, don't assume anything, so

I just presumed that solsticedreamer had proof that Charles was the son of Richard, grandson of Charles.

Help me out here solsticedreamer

You are quite right Pam, don't assume anything, so

I just presumed that solsticedreamer had proof that Charles was the son of Richard, grandson of Charles.

Help me out here solsticedreamer
    Sorry Mutley, a bit of mis-wording on my part. I wasn't querying Charles the son so much. More the two children born after the 1861 census. I should more correctly have underlined "He returns to father more children" not just the one word of 'he'.
    Pam

(And I love your smilie. )

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Sorry Mutley, a bit of mis-wording on my part. I wasn't querying Charles the son so much. More the two children born after the 1861 census. I should more correctly have underlined "He returns to father more children" not just the one word of 'he'.
    Pam

(And I love your smilie. )
    Now I am totally confused.
    I have followed Emma through the years with four children from 1858 and 1868; Elizabeth, Charles (my great x 2 grandfather), Jane and Emma.
    Tis the bold fellow (Charles the son) that I expected solsticedreamer to know that Richard (Mr. Mystery) was his father.

Now I am totally confused.

Tis the bold fellow (Charles the son) that I expected solsticedreamer to know that Richard (Mr. Mystery) was his father.
    Like you, I should have been in bed three hours ago as I'm obviously writing rubbish this evening.
    When I took you to task for writing 'He returns to father more children so he has not 'gone away' completely', you were referring to Richard, the father of Charles.
    But when I replied "No proof Richard was the father unless you've seen either a birth certificate or baptism record" I should have actually clarified it as "No proof Richard was the father of the children born after the 1861 census unless you've seen either a birth certificate or baptism record" .
    Hopefully that has un-confused you.
    Pam