busyglen

Default Unable to link background image?

It's me again, and this time I won't be able to answer my own question, as I am completely stymied!

I have just uploaded the index page of my new site, to see what it looks like, and to look for problems, before I load the rest of the linking files. I loaded the index file plus the background image to view the effect, but for some reason, although I have loaded the jpeg image, it's not attaching (if that's the right word). I've looked at the source code....(my goodness what a lot of extra code has been imported by RW) and the code is definately showing.
    Can someone advise me on what I am doing wrong, or why it isn't attaching?

I will attach the link so that you can have a look....it's a very plain site, (similar to the Coastguard one) as I found this easier to deal with, and it's not too fussy for people to navigate around. Well it won't be when I get it all uploaded!

https://freepages.history.rootsweb.an...uxty/index.htm

I hope the A** word is allowed in this as I have no control over them adding it to the Rootsweb ulr. Luckily it doesn't show on my old site.

I'd put the site elsewhere if I could find something that would be permanent and was free, and the uploading was simple.

Glenys

MarkJ

Hi Glen!

Is this the image - "images/beige111.jpg" ?

If so, and you think it isn't displaying, then the first thing is to ensure that the jpg is actually in a folder called images on your site. If it is just in the main location with the rest of the stuff, try removing the "images/" bit, so the browsers will look in the same location as the rest of the page.
    Also worth checking that your file is actually called beige111.jpg
    Some servers (Unix/Linux based ones) are case sensitive, so Beige111.jpg would be another file completely!

Mark

busyglen

YESSSSS! Thank you Mark!

I knew it was something like that, but I couldn't pinpoint what was wrong.

It was in the Images file, so it put that code in on the index page. When I uploaded the jpeg I opened the images folder and selected the one I wanted, but of course it didn't have the `images' code added. If you know what I mean, that sounds a bit garbled!

Anyway, thanks Mark I can now start to upload some more pages when I have a moment and then get the pages validated etc.

Glen

busyglen

I still don't like the blue of the link names, but don't know how to fix it so that it is the same colour as the main text. Is it an easy job? Any ideas?

Glenys

MarkJ

Be wary of changing the link colours to match the rest of the text Glenys - it makes it hard for visitors to see what is or is not a link.
    You could change the links to be a complementary colour if you like though.
    Rather than me listing how to do it, I thought a link to a website with the details may be handy -
    https://www.pageresource.com/html/linkcol.htm

If you get stuck, give me a shout and I will see if I can sort it

Cheers,
    Mark

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    I still don't like the blue of the link names, but don't know how to fix it so that it is the same colour as the main text. Is it an easy job? Any ideas?

Glenys
    Glen,

I have just had a look at the homepage of your site and agree with Mark. Whilst black links would look neat (matching the main text), they need to contrast with the background colour. The blue stands out and is what most people are used to finding for links.

Keep it as it is - just my opinion.

busyglen

Thanks Mark and Jan.

I think you are right, it's better to leave well alone. I suppose that it looked a bit odd with this site because of the background colour, whereas my other one has a grey background which doesn't look so odd.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Glen