Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Debbie Bozkurt

Lightbulb Some Jewish Look Ups able to be undertaken

So far all I have done in this forum is post threads asking for help with parish records etc. this is mostly because previously I have been undertaking mostly Jewish Research.

I figured its time to help pay back some kindness , I have a small personal collection of Jewish Books which I don't mind looking up details for people. The most helpful is the Marriage Records of the Great Synagogue London, 1791 - 1885, plus some other old books I have bought in my quest to find my relations.

My personal interests as is Philip (my 6th Cousin) who regularly posts here, are JACOBS, HELLER, STEINER, PHILLIPS, (last 3 just mine).

Kind Regards

Debbie

Gillian57

Debbie,

I don't know for sure that I have Jewish ancestors, but it was mentioned in family folklore that this could be a possibility. The name in question is Walledge. I would be interested to know if you have any references to this name in your collection of books, particularly the marriage records. This family is London based.

Thank you

Gill

maisiem

Hi Debbie

I'd be very grateful if you could look for a marriage between Isaac Jacobs and Millie (Minnie) Hart sometime before 1881.

Maisie

Karrie Cutlets

I also have the Great Synagogue marriage book ( & found a number of my ancestors marriages in it) but does anyone know whether any other synagogue books have been printed, especially London synagogues..

thanks

Debbie Bozkurt

Default Minnie Hart and Isaac Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by maisiem View Post
    Hi Debbie

I'd be very grateful if you could look for a marriage between Isaac Jacobs and Millie (Minnie) Hart sometime before 1881.

Maisie
    I have an Isaac Jacobs age 23, father Simon Jacobs (Yitzhank b. Pinhas) 24 Dunk Street marrying a Millie Hart 21 (Note Bride is Minnie in Register), father Joseph Hart (Mindella b. Yosef Halevi) also 24 Dunk Street married on the 10th January 1877, Great Synagogue.

Not sure is this will be of help but look at this link for the Jacob Family, there are also Harts amongst the branches too.

https://www.jacobstree.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Regards Debs

Debbie Bozkurt

Default Walledge

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian57 View Post
    Debbie,

I don't know for sure that I have Jewish ancestors, but it was mentioned in family folklore that this could be a possibility. The name in question is Walledge. I would be interested to know if you have any references to this name in your collection of books, particularly the marriage records. This family is London based.

Thank you

Gill
    Although Walledge doesn't sound like a Jewish name, Jewish names were often made to sound English if the Ancestors arrived from Russian, Germany for example. In my book I have similar sounding names;

Wallach, Wallig, Wallag for example, do you have any dates or first names or know where any of your ancestors come from?

Regards Debs

maisiem

Thank you so much. This is definitely them and now I have their fathers' original names too!

Thanks again.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Karrie Cutlets View Post
    I also have the Great Synagogue marriage book ( & found a number of my ancestors marriages in it) but does anyone know whether any other synagogue books have been printed, especially London synagogues..

thanks
    Yes I have the Bevis Marks records part 11 and part 111 marriages from earliest to 1901

happy to look up

Sandie

Gillian57

Debbie,

The furthest back I can go with the Walledge side of my family is the birth in 1798 of William Walledge in West Ham. He married a Sarah (surname unknown). His son William married an Elizabeth Mathison (1847) in Lambeth or an Elizabeth Hopkins (1848) in Stepney. His son John married a Mary Ann Spencer in Poplar (Oct - Dec 1858). John and Mary Ann's daughter, Rosa was my great-grandmother and married a Richard Pettit in Poplar (Oct - Dec 1883).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gill

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Gillian
    I have looked in my Bevis Marks books and cant see any name that is like Walledge,
    do you have any idea where the idea of William being Jewish came from? as Debbie said it is possible that it is a name change but I cant see anything in my books that could be Walledge sorry

sandie

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast