xapury82

Post ARNOLD, PENNWELL - Plymouth, England, abt 1865

My husband's great-grandfather, James ARNOLD or AURNDEL (and a variety of other spellings) arrived in Hawaii from England about 1886.

Other than several US census records, a 1902 divorce in Hawaii and a questionable death certificate I don't have much information. He apparently was a blacksmith in the Waikoa Region of Maui in 1890. His son, James ARNOLD, my husband's grandfather was born on Maui in 1895 - his baptismal certificate says father: James Aurndel and mother: Emily deSilva (Portuguese)

According to the 1900 US Census, James AURNDEL was born in April 1865, arrived in Hawaii about 1886. In the 1910 & 1920 censuses, James ARNOLD was in California. James ARNOLD's death certificate, recorded in Oakland, California in 1926 indicates he was born in PLYMOUTH, ENGLAND - father: Thomas ARNOLD and mother: Elizabeth PENNWELL.

He appeared in the US Military and Armed Forces 1900 Census in Binan, Phillippines - listing his residence in Hawaii, with his place of birth as well as that of both his parents as England.

Does anyone recognize an Arnold/Pennwell connection?

I know this post is a stretch, I've just begun looking to get him off the islands. I look forward to hearing for anyone.
    k

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi there
    I am trying to reply to your recent posting but it won't let me, sorry.
    I think it is possible that James mother could actually be Sarah, a sister of Eliza, but he was brought up by Eliza and her husband.
    There is a possible family in 1851 index in Malborough parish. Looks to be parents Thomas (1814) and Mary Ann (1816), children Elizabeth J(1843), Harriet S (1846), Sarah Jane (1849), William T H (1851). Children born Salcombe.

Re Grisel's find -

The marriage certificate of a Reuben Way to an Eliza Jarvis Arundel, 1869, can be viewed on Find My Past.

In 1871 the couple have stepson James Arnold, age 5, born Marlborough, Devon living with them at Batson Village, Kingsbridge, Devon
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FreeBMD has the birth registration of a James Bond Arundle, Kingsbridge, Sept Qtr 1865, 5b 193.

The Reg District Kingsbridge includes Malborough (incorrectly referred to as Marlborough in earlier post)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

For those interested - there is a closed post from a few days ago which has xapury82's most recent discoveries on it. Perhaps
    a moderator could link?