Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    darrellji

Default Binch Family, Mansfield, Notts

Hello Everyone,
    I have been researching my family tree on ancestry over the past few months and I seem to have hit a wall (can't quite tell if it's my unwillingness to pay any more, ot what). My parents and siblings were all born in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire and me in Footscray, Victoria, Australia - I always felt I didn't belong in Aust and subsequently spent about half my adult life living in the UK but returned to Aust abut 3 years ago. Doing this family research has helped me enormously to feel a sense of place and belonging.
    My father's family is from north Wales Jones/Roberts and
    I haven't got very far all at there. But I've traced nearly all my mother's family through census records (with the help of a second cousin and our great grandmother's bible). I've confused myself by trying to look at every branch simutaneously but I'm trying to focus on two relationships of interest but not sure how to proceed. Thomas Binch (b. 1794 Mansfield, Notts) married Mary Collumbine (b. 1792 Sutton in Ashfield, Notts) on 29 May 1814 in Mansfield, Notts. Where do I go from there? I suspect that they were non-conformists so think church parish records won't be there - but I would like to find records of their births and parents but don't know how to go about it. The same with the other relationship; Richard Clay (b. 1790 Mansfield,Notts) married Francis Platts (b. 1791 Southwell,Notts) on 17 January 1814 in Southwell, Notts. Does anyone have advice how to proceed from here? Please. Many thanks Darrell

Jan1954

Hello Darrell and welcome to Brit-Gen

Have a good look round the boards, post your questions on the relevant ones and we will put our collective heads together to see what we can do to help.

Have fun!

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Hi Darrell,

If you are sure that the baptism you are looking for is in Mansfield, then you might find that the next step is to trawl through the Mansfield Parish Registers. The LDS have several films covering Mansfield records, both C of E and Presbyterian etc, so you could find what you are looking for. Check their collection for Mansfield on the familysearch site, hire the film/fiche and go for it.
    There is a cost to that but only minimal provided you are not too far away from the LDS family history centre.

Other nonconformist Records may be located at the Notts Archive Office https://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/ho...e/Archives.htm but in order to request a copy you need to be as sure as possible of dates and locations, otherwise costs could get out of hand if a search is required.

It is just a fact of life that once one gets to the beginning of the census records in England, searching becomes harder the further one goes back, especially for us expats!

Good luck

Michael

bowlingbun

We have Columbines in the Mansfield area going back to around 1700. When researching this side of the family don't get too hung up on the "right" spelling, it was spelt many different ways. Later, they moved towards Yorkshire, mainly involved in spinning and weaving, lots in the Worsborough Common area. I've just had a knee op and can't get to all my research today, but I'm sure that there is a link between our two families, there is one will which I'm sure gives Binch as the married name of a daughter. Keep in touch.

darrellji

Default Lydia Binch

Hello, Thanks for you post.
    Yes - the Collumbine in my family married Thomas Binch - their daughter Lydia Binch was my Great Great Grandmother. My grandmother apparently remembered Binch cousins which would have been her mother's cousins.
    Look forward to hearing from you when your knee is better.
    Cheers Darrell

robert

Default lenard binch

Quote Originally Posted by darrellji View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I have been researching my family tree on ancestry.co.uk over the past few months and I seem to have hit a wall (can't quite tell if it's my unwillingness to pay any more, ot what). My parents and siblings were all born in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire and me in Footscray, Victoria, Australia - I always felt I didn't belong in Aust and subsequently spent about half my adult life living in the UK but returned to Aust abut 3 years ago. Doing this family research has helped me enormously to feel a sense of place and belonging.
    I haven't got very far all at there. But I've traced nearly all my mother's family through census records (with the help of a second cousin and our great grandmother's bible). I've confused myself by trying to look at every branch simutaneously but I'm trying to focus on two relationships of interest but not sure how to proceed. Thomas Binch (b. 1794 Mansfield, Notts) married Mary Collumbine (b. 1792 Sutton in Ashfield, Notts) on 29 May 1814 in Mansfield, Notts. Where do I go from there? I suspect that they were non-conformists so think church parish records won't be there - but I would like to find records of their births and parents but don't know how to go about it. The same with the other relationship; Richard Clay (b. 1790 Mansfield,Notts) married Francis Platts (b. 1791 Southwell,Notts) on 17 January 1814 in Southwell, Notts. Does anyone have advice how to proceed from here? Please. Many thanks Darrell
    hello leneard seth binch was my uncle he was from glenroy melbourne, a builder, moved to tweed heads nsw 1980? now decd wife laura may nee hopkinson is living, she has a daughter patricia in georgtown tasmania, also had a brother wayne deced 2009 april, 40yrs? tricia has two children, and two grand kids have her datails if wanting a contact, as len had a brother
    in hamilton vic, decd there father was a news correspondet in his day have pictures of family
    you can see me on ebensti\ein & hopkinson site laura is there scrollto search put in name. robert you can contact me through forum

robert

Default binch

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    hello leneard seth binch was my uncle he was from glenroy melbourne, a builder, moved to tweed heads nsw 1980? now decd wife laura may nee hopkinson is living, she has a daughter patricia in georgtown tasmania, also had a brother wayne deced 2009 april, 40yrs? tricia has two children, and two grand kids have her datails if wanting a contact, as len had a brother
    in hamilton vic, decd there father was a news correspondet in his day have pictures of family
    you can see me on ebensti\ein & hopkinson site laura is there scrollto search put in name. robert you can contact me through forum
    try http:www.binchfamily.com/index.php could be a lead

darrellji

Default Binch family UK

Hello, the Binch family I am referring to were in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire - not Victoria. My grandmother's grandmother was a Binch - early 19th century. Cheers

bowlingbun

Default cousin!

Hello, I'm part of the large Collumbine family from Mansfield. My great grandmother was Emma Columbine who married Jonathan Wright. Emma's father was Adam Scott Columbine, Scott was his mother's maiden name. My dad managed to trace the family back to about 1709. Many of the Collumbines from Worsbro are also part of this family. Is there anything specific you would like to know more about?

Quote Originally Posted by darrellji View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I have been researching my family tree on ancestry over the past few months and I seem to have hit a wall (can't quite tell if it's my unwillingness to pay any more, ot what). My parents and siblings were all born in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire and me in Footscray, Victoria, Australia - I always felt I didn't belong in Aust and subsequently spent about half my adult life living in the UK but returned to Aust abut 3 years ago. Doing this family research has helped me enormously to feel a sense of place and belonging.

Hi Bowlingbun. Darrell hasn't visited for a few years, but hopefully this will generate an e-mail. Otherwise you could try sending a private message. I have also moved the thread from Introduce Yourself to the Nottinghamshire forum, as that seems more appropriate
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast