Prof

Default Ashcrofts in Lamesley

I'd be interested in any information about Ashcrofts living in Lamesley at the start of the 20th cent..

Particularly David Ashcroft born 12 Aug 1917 at Plantation Cottage, Low Fell, Lamesley.
    Maud Ashcroft his mother
    Mary Jane Ashcroft his grandmother.

The 1901 census does not record any Ashcrofts iin the area so presumably they moved there after that date.

Thanks

Prof

Hi,
    My partner's tree has Ashcrofts that were in Leadgate in the early 1900s but two generations before are from Lancashire.
    Angelaj

Prof

Hi Angela

Afraid I'm not very familiar with the area around Newcastle but I assume Leadgate is near to Lamesley. Now coincidentally I think the Ashcrofts I am looking for originated from the Wigan area.

The David Ashcroft I am looking for who was born in Lamesley, hopefully served in the army during WWII and was stationed in Leicestershire. The trouble is I have very little information other than the 3 names I mentioned.

Regards

Mick

Hi,
    Leadgate and Lamesley aren't that far away from each other. I find www.genuki.org.uk a useful site for navigating unfamiliar territory.
    I've had a look at the Ashcroft tree and there are Ashcrofts born in Marsden c.1850, Westhoughton in 1820 and Burtonwood in 1770, both of which are very close to Wigan.
    Do you have David Ashcroft's birth certificate or his parents' marriage certificate? If you have this, you can look for them in 1881 and hopefully work back from there. I've given up trying to fill in gaps beyond 1901 as the information is so hard to get to. I can go back to 1550 on one part of my tree, yet on the other I'm struggling to find my grandfather's birth details.
    Angelaj

Prof

Hi

Yes I have David Ashcroft's birth cert. Basically all the information is in my original posting. Name of the father is not given and Maud is listed as being of 'no occupation'. Person giving the information was Mary Jane Ashcroft (gave her mark), grandmother and residing at the same address, namely Plantation Cottage, Low Fell, Lamesley...

After trawling the 1901 census the only Maud Ashcroft with a mother named Mary J was at Hindley, Lancs. (RG13 /3562/154/2);
    4 Crompton Street, Hindley.
    William Ashcroft. 46. Coal Hewer, born Hindley
    Mary J. wife. 42. born Rainford
    Edith. daughter. 17. born Wigan
    James. son. 11. born Ince in Makerfield
    Sarah E. daughter. 8. born Ince
    Beatrice. daughter. 6.born Ince
    Maud. daughter. 5. born Ince.

It's a bit of a leap of faith to attribute these Ashcrofts to the ones I am looking for, but as I said, they are the only ones that have a Maud and Mary J that I could find.

Mick

Hi,
    Yes, I found them too. I also did a quick look on Freebmd searching for Ashcrofts in births, marriages and deaths in the Chester-le-street district. There are quite a few. It might be worth seeing if you can find any of them on the census, some of them may have links to Lancashire.I know it's tedious going, but sometimes you can find really useful bits of info from unexpected places.
    In the meantime I'll see if I can get any clues from my side. If you are signed up to GR you can look for the Ashcroft tree there.
    Angelaj

Prof

Hi again

I've just doubled checked the Maud Ashcrofts born 1885-1901 (kind of age range that would be giving birth in 1917) and the only one that seems to fit the bill is the one I found in the 1901 census at Hindley, who was born at Ince in Makerfield.

Afraid I gave up on GR a while back and have moved everything to Ancestry.co.uk.

Regards

Mick

Hi,
    No Maud or David in our tree I'm afraid. Did you see the marriage between Maud Ashcroft and Alphonse Michaux Gateshead December quarter 1918? Might be worth checking out.
    Angelaj

Prof

Hi
    Sorry for the delay in replying.. had a virus which caused havoc on my pc... thanks for looking anyway.

Mick

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, My name is Geoff Ashcroft my father was James Ashcroft and his father also James, greatgrandad was William who married Mary Jane McQuillan and they lived in the Wigan area of Ince in Makerfield and Platt Bridge.My dad born 1912 in Low Fell lived in Plantation Cottage on what was and still is known as Peggys Bank.He had three sisters Edith,Bertha and Jean,His mother was Anne Bell originally from East Sleekburn in Norhumberland near Ashington. William Ashcroft and Family lived in Boundary Row at Wrekenton with James,Sarah,Beatrice,Maud and William. I can remember that my granparents used to get visitors from the Leicester area back in the 60s but can not remember any names