Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Snooze

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't know what you're looking at but I can see her recorded in RG33 (Foreign Registers and Returns) - born 3 Sep 1843, bap 2 May 1844. I don't see any indication of non-conformism - in fact the entry is signed by the Bishop which doesn't sound very non-conformist !!

The place of birth is shown as Le Houlme (just north of Rouen)

A lot of Brits took advantage of a period of peace to seek employment opportunities in France. Mostly they returned when the 1848 revolution started.
    Thank you so much for your swift informative reply, which has solved a brick wall! I first found indication of Elizabeth's baptism on the familysearch.org website (LDS) which was listed under England & Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes RG4-8, Rouen 2 May 1844. Attempting to verify this record I consulted BMD Non-Conformist Registers website which showed as the last Hawkins listed item Elizabeth, parents correct as George & Harriet Hawkins in France, but no dates or town/city - it was marked unreadable!

Now due to your input I have her birth date & place of birth. I have now had the opportunity to view the original item on the Ancestry site & note other records listed on the page show British surnames & occupations in the building trade too! Thank you too for the info re the bishop who performed the ceremony & for directing me to the Houlme town website. I am so glad I posed the question!!!!!

Very many thanks for your help

Snooze

Snooze

P.S. The 1861 census shows Elizabeth born what I read as possibly Manbury, France; I believe this may well be MALAUNAY. Wikipedia shows 'The station Malaunay - The Houlme is a railway station French situated on the commune of Houlme near Malaunay (department of Seine-Maritime ).' This maybe reinforces the theory that George was engaged in making bricks for the railway development.

I love it when a plan comes together, lol!

Snooze

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12