Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    You can pass along copies ...
    scroll down to "Completed Certificates" 10, paragraph (d)
    in my words
    It is allowable to subject your copy to "limited distribution" for genealogical purposes. It specifically says that copies are not to posted on the internet.

Christine
    This makes me feel better and not so much a criminal. I never post certs on my website but fill in the details in the marriage/birth/death sections.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Katlin View Post
    Hi,

Having read about the problems concerning copyright on this site I have contacted the OPSI today to ask about the situation regarding including photos of certificates on online family trees - in particular those that are kept private and only accessible to invited family members. (Thus complying with the limited distribution rule.) I was told that the position with specific sites is complex as they may have negotiated directly with relevant government departments.

A site I use regularly (not sure if I am allowed to name it) actually suggests that photos of certificates should be included in family trees!

In addition I was told that the guidance on this subject is at present being updated and they are hoping this will become available to the public in April this year.

Hope this info might be of some use to people who are concerned.

Katlin
    Thanks for this information Katlin. Hopefully the rules will be cleared in April.

mfwebb

Default Copy certificates

For every certificate I obtain, I make my own transcription by typing the information into my own blank forms.

I use separate ones for births, deaths and marriages which contain all the information recorded on the official certificate and they are clearly marked at the top "Transcription Copy". I then save these as pdf files so I can pass them on to relatives. I have a first cousin in America and that is how I pass certificate information to her via e-mail.

It is an Excel spreadsheet -- I don't claim any originality as I obtained it from elsewhere many years ago (I can't remember where), but I have drastically altered it to suit my own requirements.

If anyone would like a copy please send me a pm and I will gladly e-mail a copy and you can adapt it as you wish.

Katlin

Thumbs up Kind Offer of Certificate Transcription Form

Hi, Malcolm,

Many thanks for your offer. I have sent you a PM with my request.

Katlin

mfwebb

Default Certificate Transcription Form

Referring to my earlier post offering to share my transcription form it appears as though I cannot attach a file to a pm. If anyone knows how to do it, please let me know.

Otherwise, pm me with your private e-mail and I will forward by return. It as an Excel spreadsheet, 52kb in size.

Katlin

Default Thank you

Thank you, Malcolm,

Have now received your form and am sure it will be most useful.

Thanks, again, for sharing.

Katlin

ET in the USA

Question

Not sure if I can mention the name of the magazine, but I purchased the April 2009 issue of a genealogy magazine which appeared on the shelf Mar 20. On page 92 - "reader to reader, can you help" section they have printed a copy of an 1876 birth certificate. Was this OK because it is over 50 years old or have they violated copyright ? They have omitted the bottom of the cert. which reads "Certified to be a true copy ..." and the date, so not sure if this is a cert. issued 1876 or a copy ordered 2009.
    I was surprised to see it because on this forum we snip the unreadable word & only post that portion, no matter which year the cert was originally issued.

Elaine

Usually magazines get permission before publishing anything that is copyright.

The fact that they have done it doesn't make it right. We will continue to make sure that our members don't breach copyright rules simply to ensure the continuance of Brit-Gen.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    Usually magazines get permission before publishing anything that is copyright.

The fact that they have done it doesn't make it right. We will continue to make sure that our members don't breach copyright rules simply to ensure the continuance of Brit-Gen.
    Thanks. I was confused & wondered if just leaving off the bottom certification was enough. Odd thing is that the magazine reader only wanted clarification of the mother's maiden name, so it could easily have been snipped instead of circled on the copied certificate.
    Elaine

billgardner

The charge for a certificate is quite small really and probably is just aimed at recovering the costs involved in supplying it.
    The point of copyright law is surely to protect the originators from losing money through other people claiming work as their own. Authors, film makers, song writers, photographers etc are the people who need this protection. However, in making legislation you can hardly restrict it to certain types of people.
    There is a legal phrase - 'de minimus' - which means that 'the law does not concern itself with trifles'. I think that sharing a certificate is a trifle but using one to illustrate a book, for example, would be more than that and would want an OK from the copyright holder.
    That is not to say that a jobsworth somewhere would not get himself excited over it and seek to prove a point.
    Was it Mr Bumble, when told that the law holds a man responsible for the actions of his wife said "If the law says that, sir, then the law is a ass, sir"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast