Thread: Deaths at Sea

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Unhappy Deaths at Sea

I have a Robert Cable Pipe, b 1846 Halesworth, Sfk, who appears on the 1861 census at Lowestoft, Sfk (with family) then vanishes for good. The only information that I have is from another researcher who said Robert "died at sea". (that researcher is no longer living, so no luck there).
    I have searched some records such as Lifeboat records, deaths at sea on Findmypast.com, and scoured the GRO Index, all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Michael
    Last edited by michaelpipe; 10-06-2008 at 2:28 PM. Reason: Addition of information

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Death at sea

My understanding is that from 1837 onwards, a birth or death at sea on a British registered vessel would have been reported to the GRO by the ship's captain. However if the vessel was registered in another country, then if recorded at at all, the event would be registered with the authorities in that other country. I think there was also scope for registering the event with the nearest British Consul, but perhaps that did not always happen.

If your relative did die at sea, then perhaps the reason you cannot find it is because the ship was not a British registered vessel?

Elwyn

Reputation beyond repute

You may be interested in searching out the book "Tracing Births, Deaths and Marriages at Sea" by Christopher & Michael Watts.

Thanks Peter and Elwyn,
    I will look for the book - it may answer some questions. However this may be the one who vanished without a trace.

Michael

brewerreg

Default death at sea

Hi Michael.
    I don't know if you have got anywhere with Robert C Pipe, but for your information in the 1851 census He is with his family BUT called Robert Kee Pipe, age 4 :
    He is as you stated in the 1861 Census as Robert C Pipe :
    According to the Birth Index He is Robert Cable Pipe.
    Maybe he used the name Robert Kee Pipe after 1861?
    Brewrreg

Thanks for the idea, but the Kee was a mistranscription of Keeble which was incorrectly used by some transcribers instead of Cable. Cable was the mothers maiden name.

Michael