busyglen

Default Help with virus problem please.

When I turned on my pc earlier this evening, I clicked on a bookmark and Norton came up with a message that I had a virus.

C:/Documents and set/view[3]htm
    Virus name: Downloader
    Action: unable to repair this file.

I ran a full virus scan and strangely, it didn't pick anything up!

Could someone advise me what to do? I cannot think of anything that I have downloaded over the past couple of days, apart from an update from Java, which popped up when I was doing something. The scan ran through the Java files without any problems. (I sat watching for an hour whilst it did the scan!!) How sad am I?

I don't want to cause any more problems so would be grateful for any advice.

Glenys

Hi Glenys
    I let lost on these things nowadays, but you could try their site https://www.symantec.com/en/uk/norton...mium_virus.jsp they have an instant chat option or a UK phone number. BUT read the small print, not sure if it is free.
    Good luck

busyglen

Thanks for that Neil, I've had a look but it appears to be fee based. I'll have another look around the Norton Q&A on my PC and see if I can find anything. I have a feeling that this isn't a major problem, as I would have thought the scan would have repeated the find. Still...I want to know what problems it can cause, just in case. The fact that it mentions Documents and View 3.htm it looks like a picture or something??

I'll have another look and then will have to leave it as I don't have much time this evening.

Thanks again.

Glenys

busyglen

I've had another read up on my Norton, and it gives it as a low risk. The log said that it recognised the virus and tried to repair it but access was denied.

However, it does give instructions on how to sort it out. I notice that there was a virus definition dated today on the Norton site, so it looks as if I need to run the virus definitions again in safe mode. I've got to read it all up again, as I have to disable something which my aching head can't remember just now, so that I am not reloading the virus again. Will do this tomorrow afternoon when I get back from a trip out. Oh deep joy!!

Glenys

David Annis

If you google "Downloader Virus" you will find lots of advice.
    Check out PC REVIEW.
    Cheers
    Dave.

MarkJ

If access was denied Glenys, it is likely that disabling the System Restore tool in Windows, then rescanning will sort it out. I would disable System Restore, then reboot before rescanning. Once the problem is removed, then you can re-enable System Restore and all should be well.
    System Restore makes regular backups of your system - sadly, this includes any malware. It is protected from access by you and your AV program - hence my suggestion to disable System Restore and then scan.
    Although the problematic file is in Documents and Settings, I expect Norton can actually get that file - but it won't be able to remove a backup copy of it from System Restore.

As to how you picked it up - well, sadly there are a lot of websites which have malware which is placed on your system in what are called "drive by" methods. This means that simply visiting the site can allow junk onto your system in a variety of ways. A "Downloader" helps to get further junk onto your machine - they are very common pieces of malware.

Mark

steve-fuff

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    If access was denied Glenys, it is likely that disabling the System Restore tool in Windows, then rescanning will sort it out. I would disable System Restore, then reboot before rescanning. Once the problem is removed, then you can re-enable System Restore and all should be well.
    System Restore makes regular backups of your system - sadly, this includes any malware. It is protected from access by you and your AV program - hence my suggestion to disable System Restore and then scan.
    Although the problematic file is in Documents and Settings, I expect Norton can actually get that file - but it won't be able to remove a backup copy of it from System Restore.

As to how you picked it up - well, sadly there are a lot of websites which have malware which is placed on your system in what are called "drive by" methods. This means that simply visiting the site can allow junk onto your system in a variety of ways. A "Downloader" helps to get further junk onto your machine - they are very common pieces of malware.

Mark
    NB.
    A quick clean for items that end up in the system restore like that is to:
    1. turn off the restore function as described (that deletes all existing restore points) and then clean up.
    Then turn restore back on.

A longer term limitation on the rubbish getting into your system in the first place is to use a browser that doesn't have the security holes that IE has - try Firefox...

busyglen

Thanks for your replies guys!

Unfortunately I must have done something wrong as I am having problems again!

Mark, I disabled system restore, rebooted and then re-scanned. I then re-enables system restore. Now I keep getting a message saying that I am in Selective start-up (Normal and Diagnostic) are the other options. I don't know why as I didn't change anything else other than what the info gave me for disabling and enabling. I tried to logon to Norton to update the virus definitions, but it is now coming up with an error, and saying Norton not responding. Any ideas as to what I have done wrong?

Glenys

Belay the Norton not starting up. I've just tried again and it has now worked, and the status is all A OK. It's just the starting up that seems to be a problem.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 06-06-2008 at 6:46 PM. Reason: Addition.

MarkJ

Hi Glenys,
    Choose Normal from the selective startup and that should then all be fine
    It should then boot normally from then on.

Mark

busyglen

Thanks Mark! I was going to do that but wasn't sure if that was right.

Many thanks, I can breathe now and have a rest. Been out all day and trying to fix this tonight, I am shattered. Off now.

Glen