topo60

Default The New Family Robinson?

Ernest William Robinson was my Great Grandfather. He was born in Newhaven Street, Brighton 4 April 1877, married first time 25 May 1896 in Brighton to Marion Bushby and described as a Groom/Domestic Servant they had 3 children then he disappeared – no sign of him on the 1901 census – then he arrived at his eldest daughters home with some of his ‘new family’ but was sent away. Ernest had remarried but who was his second wife? Children? And where are they now?
    On the Death Certificate Ernest William was aged 76 and died on 12 February 1954 at Ashford Hospital, Stanwell, Staines. At the time his place of residence was 113 The Alders, Hanworth, Feltham, Middlesex - also the home of the informant - his son E J Robinson. Ernest William was described as a retired Private Chauffer. I have written to both the last known address and to the local newspapers appealing for help but none has been forthcoming even the Electoral Registers were of no use as they were apparently destroyed as a result of a fire.
    Can anyone help me find the missing Robinsons.
    topo60

Jan1954

Hello topo60.

Have you tried to find out where Ernest William was buried? The burial records may provide more clues - especially if there are others buried with him.

Also, have you checked the local newspaper(s) for a write-up of the funeral? That might be a good source too.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Would this be Marion Robinson nee Bushby in the census?

1901: RG13 Piece: 923 Folio: 66 Page: 22 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    In Brighton
    With mother Marion Bushby and brother Charles. Married but husband/children not present.

1911: RG14PN5099 RG78PN226 RD79 SD1 ED11 SN322
    In Brighton. With 2 of the children but husband not present.

topo60

Yes - Marion was my great grandmother - and she remarried in 1918 (as a widow) but Ernest William Robinson was still alive (& no divorce!!). Marion died in 1942. Child No. 1 born 1896 was 'given away' to parents of Ernest William Robinson so not shown on the census (she grew up not knowing about her siblings). Unable to find child No. 2 (born 1898) on 1901 census but is on 1911, child No. 3 born 1908 so does appear on 1911 census later 'shipped off' to Australia. Quite a family..!!! (Child No. 2 is my grandmother).

Mutley

Elder brother Edward's WW1 Army service record is on Ancestry. He did quite well for himself.
    His address was Lincoln Street and he was married to Kate Emily Frost.

They had several children listed but one born in June 1905 was named Ernest William Robinson.
    Makes me think he could still have been in touch with your Ernie to have named a son with the same name.

Mutley

Sorry, please could you clarify, I am getting a little confused and it don't take much.

Is Helen born 1898 in Brighton your grandmother that you cannot find on the 1901 census?

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

I think Helen may be at 105 Bonchurch Road, Brighton (RG13/925/154/24) enumerated as Ellen D ROBERTSON, 3yr old visitor, born Brighton in the SLATER household.

We have come across the name Helen transcribed as Ellen at other times.

I can't find a birth for a Ellen D ROBERTSON.

Mutley

Well done Jellylegs,
    If the Helen Dorothy Robinson birth registration in 1898 in Brighton belongs to Topo60, it could well fit

especially as the householder's daughter is a nursemaid, maybe young Helen/Ellen was her charge?
    Last edited by Mutley; 17-01-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added a thought

topo60

Brilliant - thanks guys. Yes that is my grandmother (aka Nell...!!!). Now to find the nephew of EWR.

topo60

Thanks to Electoral Registers I've finally found Ernest William Robinson who had been living with Mary Pauline Harvey (in Camden). They had a son Ernest John Robinson Harvey born 1906. The son later seems to have dropped Harvey from his surname and used Robinson instead. When both his parents died in Hanworth, Middlesex. The son Ernest John married Maggie Agent and they had two sons - now I need to find them.