Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoseBur

Default ROBERT BURNS b. approx 1851 LIVERPOOL or DUNDEE?

I've just been to the Liverpool Record Office to try and find him! Two census returns say he was born in Liverpool, and he said he was born in the Parish of St Peters in Liverpool when he enlisted in the RA at Woolwich in November, 1878. He gave his age as 17yrs and 11 mths. His parents were Henry and Sarah Burns and he gave his Brother, Henry's, name as next of kin, so maybe his parents had died. However.........one census return says he was born in Dundee, Scotland and when he married Mary Jane Macdonald in Nova Scotia, in 1879, his Marriage Slip also says he was born in Dundee, Scotland. Several family members were convinced he came from Liverpool......but I'm not so sure. I've looked through everything, bmd's, Parish Records of St Peters and St Nicholas (he said he was a Seaman before joining the Army), school records, crew lists, workhouse records, Non-conformist records, IGI, Mormon records, Probate - nothing, it as if he didn't exist. He was in the Army for 21 years and then worked in the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich.

Has anybody in Liverpool heard of him or are trying to trace him like me?

Any clues would be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

RoseBur

Wirral

Hi Rosebur
    Could you give the references for the censuses that you have already found? Does Robert's brother Henry or his parents turn up with him on any of the censuses?
    The IGI coverage for Liverpool is limited. Although St Peter's was the parish church of Liverpool & hence the most popular one, there were literally dozens of C of E churches in Liverpool at that time, Never mind all the Catholic & other non-conformist ones. What religion were the family?

sally

Hi Rosebur

I have just searched Scotlandspeople.gov.uk for a birth/baptism entry for Robert BURNS born between 1st Jan 1849 and 31st Dec 1852 in Dundee but no entries at all.

There are 17 entries when I do a search for all of Scotland with the same dates and 5 entries for the dates 1st Jan 1850-31st Dec 1851.

Adding in either parent or both brings up no entries for the 1849-1852 dates. Sorry not to have better news

Sally

RoseBur

Hi Wirral!

Thanks for your reply. The census details are below:

1871 - Class: RG10 Piece: 1153 Folio: 68 Page: 5
    (Find My Past transcribes him as Robert Burns whereas Ancestry incorrectly transcribes him as Robert Bevins) Its definitely the same man - Bombadier, RA - Alverstoke, age 20, born Liverpool.

1881 - He's not there as he was stationed in Nova Scotia at that time.

1891 - Class: RG12 Piece: 541 Folio: 80 Page: 35
    This census says he was born in Dundee, Scotland. (Ancestry incorrectly transcribes "Scotland" as "Rutland") He has now left the Army after 21 years and is working in the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich, living in Plumstead with his Wife, Mary Jane and their six children.

1901 - Class: RG13 Piece: 577 Folio: 94 Page: 19
    (Ancestry incorrectly gives his age as 30 and birth year as 1871 whereas it should be 50 and 1851). This census says he was born in Liverpool. He is still living at the same address in Plumstead with his Wife, Mary Jane (not Mary A as transcribed) and 9 of his 11 children. (Robert Allan and Harry have left home).

I can't see his religion on his Army Service Record but when he married in the Garrison Chapel in Nova Scotia it says "Married with leave - Non Establishment" 2-9-79. I have copies of his Marriage documents and the Denomination of the Clergyman marrying him was Church of England. (I have Marriage Certs for 5 of his children - one says Established Church, 3 say C of E and the other says Register office).

Neither Robert's parents nor his brother turn up on any of the Censuses above. I can't find the family on the 1841, 1851 or 1861. The earliest record I have of Robert Burns is his Army Service Record when he joined up at Woolwich and said he was 17 yrs and 11 mths old in November, 1868. Can't find his birth on any of the indexes.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give. Sorry for bombarding you with so much info but it all seems relevant and may help!

Kind regards,

RoseBur

RoseBur

Hi Sally!

It was good of you to look my Robert Burns up on Scotlands people. What a shame he wasn't there.

Never mind - something will turn up - I'm sure! Ever the optimist!

Best wishes,

RoseBur

Jan1954

Just nudging this thread as I am at the Gloucestershire FHS and I have RoseBur at my side!

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBur View Post
    and he said he was born in the Parish of St Peters in Liverpool when he enlisted in the RA at Woolwich in November, 1878. He gave his age as 17yrs and 11 mths.
    That would make his date of birth as about 1860. But further down this thread you say he was a bombadier age 20 in the 1871 census.
    I think you may have 2 different people here.

RoseBur

Default ROBERT BURNS

Ooops! Sorry Wirral....................my massive mistake. Should have been 1868, as on his Army Service Record. Must double check after I type in future - thought I had!
    Thanks for picking up on that!
    RoseBur

Wirral

I can't identify him in the censuses either.
    The only things I can think of are:

He lied about his age when he signed up, then was consistent with that lie. [doesn't sound very likely]

There is an area of Liverpool called Scotland. Scotland electoral ward is around Scotland Road, just to the north of Liverpool city centre.

His birth was not registered & he does not turn up on the IGI because their records for Liverpool are very incomplete.

He was born & registered under a different name - maybe illegitimate, or his mother remarried after his birth.

By the way, did you look at all the records for all the churches in Liverpool? That would be a huge job. And baptisms are often carried out months, if not years, after the birth. Block baptisms of a number of children from a family are quite common.

RoseBur

Default ROBERT BURNS

Hi Wirral,

From my research I've found that he told quite a few porky pies along the way, so am very sceptical about the information he gave when he signed up.

I didn't know about the area in Liverpool called Scotland. Thanks.

Illegitimacy could be a possibility, of course, and...........no, I haven't looked at all the churches in Liverpool. Maybe thats my next port of call.

Thanks for your suggestions.

RoseBur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast