Anne Crittenden

Smile Elphick & Brazier families

I'm trying to trace any details of my three x great grandparents [paternal]
    Sophia Elphick b approx 1795 and George Brazier b approx 1800 they married in Hollington Church in the Wood 13/09/1820. On the census reports Sophia is shown as being born in Hastings & George in Bexhill. I have come up with a complete "Brick Wall" on them both.The marriage details gave no parents for either of them. They had ten children born from 1821 to 1840 all in Hastings.
    I would really appreciate any clues on this
    Anne

Jan1954

Hello Anne and welcome to Brit-Gen

Have you had a rummage on this site: https://www.rootschat.com/history/has...t/section/1/2/

They will undertake "look-ups" and offer local suggestions if you are completely stuck.

Anne Crittenden

Smile Elphick & Brazier

Hello Jan

I had tried this site some time ago but will have another look. Yesterday, I had a "Eureka" moment and looked on the A2A site. I found a maintenance order against John Fuller for a child born to Ann Elphick in Jan.1799, they had a warrant out for his arrest regarding the same thing in 1798, this fits in with Sophia's d.o.b. the only thing that doesn't match is place of birth, Ann lived in Ringmer.where this Sophia was born. I found the actual birth on the IGI. Ann & John married in Lewes in 1800.

Thanks for your message, I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Regards
    Anne

Jan1954

Hi Anne,

I've had a look at the IGI entry and, as it is an extracted record rather than member submitted, may be regarded as fairly "safe".

You may well find that Ann and Sophia moved to Hastings when Sophia was young and therefore she regarded herself as having been born there. Or, it may be that she was recorded as having been born in Hastings on the census returns in error.

See if you can find Ann and John in 1841 - a bit of a long shot, I admit, but it may bear fruit.

Also, I know that Sussex undertook some pre-census censuses, if you know what I mean. I have people in East Hoathly recorded as early as 1810. The Sussex Online Parish Clerk may be able to help: https://www.sussex-opc.org/

Anne Crittenden

Unhappy Elphick & Brazier

Thanks Jan

I also thought that maybe Sophia moved to Hastings when very young but I have just come across this on the A2A again.
    Warrant for the arrest of Joseph Ford, labourer, father of the child to be born to Sophia Elphick in 1815, this was in Ringmer again. Perhaps, Sophia didn't want this to come to light when she married George Brazier, I cannot find any record of the baby being born so whether it survived or not, who knows. If it was a daughter it would be harder as she would probably have been married by 1841. I have had a look on all the obvious websites I have access to but have drawn a blank.I have tried the IGI and family search but with no christian name its a bit like the proverbial needle in the haystack.