Thread: Francis Parkes

Danno

Default Francis Parkes

I am trying to save my Aunt some time with her researching.
    We are looking for Francis William Douglas Parkes, Francis came to Australia from Scotland, on his childrens' various birth certificates his birthplace has been noted at Monklen, Lanarkshire, Glasgow and Shetland.
    Francis married Emily Bennetts in 1875 in South Australia, we have little more information about Francis, his siblings if any, where & when he was born etc.

Any pointers on where we could begin this search would be a great help.
    Cheers
    Danno

joette

Do you have any age? Date he came to Australia?
    I would be looking at Census records when he was still in Scotland to locate siblings,parents& birthplace.
    What was his occupation?
    I would look at Familysearch,ScotlandsPeople & Freecen all online sites.
    Last edited by joette; 21-05-2008 at 4:33 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Danno

Hi joette

I have his marriage to Emily Jane Bennetts in South Australia in 1875.
    The first child Mary Catherine born 1876 at Clare in South Australia, although she most likely passed away very young.
    We are not sure how long they were in Sth Aust for, his next child Ada Florence was born in 1877 at Menindee. N.S.W Aust, following children were born in the districts of Wilcannia , Wallsend, Singleton. N.S.W
    as for his occupation, I recall he may have been a coal miner, but I will check that with Aunt, I have so many ancestors who were miners.
    This is the Gov records site we have for some of his children, my Aunt has ordered one or two certificates, but I believe she say's their is an eight week wait for those, I guess we may need to wait for those to search beyond the information we have.
    https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/In...ace=&x=30&y=11

Thanks again
    Danno

ShirleyX

Hi Danno

This might be your Francis William Douglas Parkes - New South Wales State Records, Bankruptcy Index. Use KeyName Search. https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/
    Francis William Douglas Parkes - Miner - Wallsend - Date 6/4/1889 - File NO. 01121 also 30/5/1892 - File No. 05082 - This time listed at Rexs Creek, near Singleton.

The first Bankruptcy is listed in The Sydney Morning Herald (newspaper) Monday 8 April 1889 page 3 available online through Trove newspapers - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Regards
    Shirley

pippycat

I wonder if this could be the parents of your Francis WD Parkes?

Death:
    Francis Parkes
    death: 1885 NSW
    father: Francis
    mother: Elizabeth

and

Elizabeth J Parkes
    death: 1896 NSW

1851 England census: 2393 f421 p39
    Brickgarth/Brickyard? Hetton le Hole, Durham

Francis Park 1828 Ireland. Coal miner
    Elizabeth Park 1831 Durham, Newbattle?

Victoria Aus. assisted/unassisted passenger list 1839-1923

Francis Parks c1828 (nationality: Irish + Scottish)
    Elizabeth Parks c1831 (nationality: English + Welsh)
    depart Liverpool on ship "Bourneuf"
    arrive: 3 Sept 1852 Geelong and Victoria.

Trove has:

Geelong: Sat 4 Sept 1852

The Bourneuf Emmigrant ship arrived off Point Henry yesterday, has been placed in quarantine.
    There have been 83 deaths on board since she left home, chiefly arising from Scarlet Fever and Measles.
    The crew have all struck work and I am told a boat is placed near her to watch that none of them desert.
    The vessel has upwards of 800 souls on board.

Marriage:
    Francis Parkes June Q 1850 Easington, Durham
    only Elizabeth on same page is an Elizabeth Burns.

With these Parks leaving UK in 1852 I assume I've either missed finding Francis WD on the passenger list or its likely to be the wrong family for you - but any children born to this couple would be little Aussies!!

Rebecca

ShirleyX

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    I wonder if this could be the parents of your Francis WD Parkes?

Death:
    Francis Parkes
    death: 1885 NSW
    father: Francis

and

Elizabeth J Parkes
    death: 1896 NSW

1851 England census: 2393 f421 p39
    Brickgarth/Brickyard? Hetton le Hole, Durham

Francis Park 1828 Ireland. Coal miner
    Elizabeth Park 1831 Durham, Newbattle?

Victoria Aus. assisted/unassisted passenger list 1839-1923

Francis Parks c1828 (nationality: Irish + Scottish)
    Elizabeth Parks c1831 (nationality: English + Welsh)
    depart Liverpool on ship "Bourneuf"
    arrive: 3 Sept 1852 Geelong and Victoria.

Trove has:

Geelong: Sat 4 Sept 1852

The Bourneuf Emmigrant ship arrived off Point Henry yesterday, has been placed in quarantine.
    There have been 83 deaths on board since she left home, chiefly arising from Scarlet Fever and Measles.
    The crew have all struck work and I am told a boat is placed near her to watch that none of them desert.
    The vessel has upwards of 800 souls on board.

Marriage:
    Francis Parkes June Q 1850 Easington, Durham
    only Elizabeth on same page is an Elizabeth Burns.

With these Parks leaving UK in 1852 I assume I've either missed finding Francis WD on the passenger list or its likely to be the wrong family for you - but any children born to this couple would be little Aussies!!

Rebecca
    The Parkes family, death 1885, and 1896 and arrival on Bourneuf are one family but I'm pretty sure they are not the same Parkes family of Francis William Douglas - perhaps they are related considering both families ended up in the Wallsend (NSW) area. This was a coal mining district.

Francis and Elizabeth on the Bourneuf originally landed in Geelong (VIC) and travelled to the Ballarat District (VIC) where their children, Andrew, Edward, Francis, John, Andrew (II) and Elizabeth were born in the Smyths Creek, Smythesdale, Linton and Springdallah towns. This is the family I am researching. I know that the mother Elizabeth was still in the Ballarat district in 1872 because she is listed as a patient in the Ballarat Base Hospital. Her husband seems to disappear from the records. When Elizabeth remarried in Wallsend in 1880 she states she was a widow. I cannot find a death record for Francis.

Shirley