harleychick

Default Photographers address 1875-1897 ?

Can anyone please give me any addresses for Photographer P.C. Stortz from 1875 until 1897.
    I have all addresses before 1875 but he left Manchester sometime around 1875 and probably went to London.In 1881 he was possibly living in the St. Pancas area but I have no other addresses for him, until his death in Brighton in 1882.
    His son C.R. Stortz lived in the home counties from around 1887 until his death in 1925, and for a short while opened a studio in Tottenham Court Road 1895'ish " Stortz and Son."
    after his father had died.
    Many thanks Sheila.

AnnB

Have you tried https://www.photolondon.org.uk/ ?

Best wishes
    Ann

harleychick

Smile photographers address 1875-1897

Thankyou Ann.Yes I have checked photolondon and there is some info. on the two Stortz photographers, but there are lots of gaps, and the only address they have is the Tottenham Court road one for P.C. Stortz's son. P.C. was much better known as a Liverpool photographer in the 1860's, and had studios in Wolverhampton, Leamington Spa and Manchester.I have been researching his life for over 5 years, but need to fill in the gaps from the dates supplied.I have tried the historical directories online, but they dont have all years and I have only found addresses for his son in the 20th century.
    Thankyou Sheila.

Mutley

Have you found him on the 1881 census?
    If not, let us know his full name, place of birth and year, roughly, and we can have a look. That will give you an address to work on.

There is a biography of him (written by Sheila!) at
    https://www.rogerco.freeserve.co.uk/stortz/stortz.htm

I have been trying to find him in 1881 but no luck so far
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

harleychick

Default Photographers address 1875-1897

thanks folks.
    I couldn't find a Philip Stortz on the 1881 census.The only match I could find ,that most people say is him- as everything else fits.. is....
    Philip (Edwards)Horley at 1 Churchill Road, London ,Parish of St. Pancras. I have seen Stortz spelt 5 different ways, so as the age, place of birth, Frankfurt and ,occupation Artist ,tie in ,I take it as him.Philip was also a portrait artist. I think the Edwards is a mistake in his name, as Edwards is the name of the people he is lodging with.
    I really need his addresses from 1875 until 1882 when he dies at 8 providence Place, Brighton. His son carried on a studio for a while as "Stortz and Son" for about 18 months around 1896, although his son, only had daughters?!

A researcher some years ago said he had "an unsourced reference, notes a possible address in York St. Covent Garden in the 1870's, " but did not elaborate, dispite my contacting him again, nor did he say whether it was Philip or his son lived at this address.

The short biography on Roger Vaughans website was my first draft, but I now have a 5" thick folder on his biography, but still many mysteries in his life still to discover.
    Many thanks for any help xxxxx
    Sheila.