Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barge builders

MollyTurner

Default Watermen of Maidstone

Not sure if it is relevant, but my ancestors, surname Pinhorn, were also watermen, living on Waterside in Maidstone, and listed as Master and Mate of the sailing barge "Lena" in 1881, another listed as Mate of the "John French" in the same census.

Anyone with any information about these vessels, please get in touch.

Molly

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Fidgetsmum
    Have you seen that there is a Henry Swain Master of the Pheonix age 31 in the 1881census Maidstone.
    Best Wishes
    Jane

Kate Kent

Default Henry and Martha Swain

Delighted to hear that you are researching my family - the Swains of Maidstone. Henry is my great great great grandfather. You have managed to fill in quite a few gaps in my knowledge as I couldn't find his and Martha's birth certificate inthe Maidstone archives - now I know they married elsewhere! Thanks so much for your help.
    Kate Kent

Kate Kent

Default Henry and Martha Swain update

To Fidgetsmum
    I hve another addition to the story of Henry and Martha Swain. IN case you are interested in their parents - they were John Swain (born 1771) who married Ann (nee Janes). John Swain's parents were James Swain (born 1750) who married another Ann.

MollyTurner

Hi there. I have just found out that the 1881 Census shows H. Swain as the Master of the sailing barge John French. My grandmother's first cousin, Alfred Pinhorn, was the Mate. He was the only one on board on census night, but the Schedule Form was filled in and signed by the Master, H. Swain.
    Hope that helps.
    Molly Turner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12