Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Customs Officer

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Robynlooking View Post
    In relation to the year when Peter would have been employed i.e betw. abt 1820 - 1867 do you know whether the same job description would apply and would his job have required him to move around the district?
    The was a range of jobs in the Department that a Customs Officer might undertake. If he was a headquarters man he might very well have spent his entire career in Headquarters.

If you want to find out what your man did, you'll need to engage somebody to do some research on your behalf.

Robynlooking

Default Customs Officer

I'm sure a customs officer did have many varied tasks which I'm sure the person I have engaged to look for the info will let me know. Peter Starling/Sterling changed addresses quite frequently so I guess his job may have required that.

Robyn

shelwin

Default Excise officers

Customs and Excise are now treated together under one heading. It wasn't always so. Excise Officers were I think the forerunners of what are now considered as tax collectors, usually in the collection of tax on alcohol (brewering and distilling), but over the years including such other commodities as glass, meat, salt, leather, linen, clothes. It did entail moving around the country and going where you were placed, and fraternisation with the locals was discouraged to the point of dismissal.

Other than the National Archives at Kew, is there anywhere else to start looking for someone in that "profession" in the late 18th century?

Or am I on the wrong board?!

Edwin

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by shelwin View Post
    Other than the National Archives at Kew, is there anywhere else to start looking for someone in that "profession" in the late 18th century?
    Other than the National Archives? Not really. The research guide mentioned above summarises what's available.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=234

The Customs & Excise Collection at the National Archives represents just about the best collection of surviving civil service employment records. Well worth a visit.

busyglen

Long before the formal establishment of HM Coastguard, it had been a function of the Board of Customs to collect the various duties payable on imported goods and to prevent any evasion of payment by smugglers. Later Preventive Officers were appointed, and by the end of the seventeenth century the Board of Customs had a small fleet and a few men on the coast.They also had custom officials in the ports.

The forerunner of the Coastguards was called the Riding Officers whose function was to prevent the movement inland of smuggled goods which had eluded the Revenue cruisers at sea, and the customs officials in the ports.

In 1809 the Government established a Preventive Water Guard to operate in coastal waters, to tackle any smugglers who had managed to evade the Revenue cruisers further out to sea. Eventually the existence of so many different preventive services resulted in a lot of overlapping of function and duplication of effort, so in 1821 a committee was set up to enquire into the operation of the Customs, and recommended that all of the preventive services would remain under the a single authority, the Board of Customs. In 1822 the Preventive Water Guard, the Revenue cruisers and the Riding officers united to form the Coastguard.

As has been said previously, originally there were only Customs men, and later the `guard of the coasts' were formed as part of the Board of Customs and Treasury.

Customs Officers always were and still are, related to the collection of revenue on imported goods and duties payable.

Hope that helps a little with difference between the Customs & Excise and the Coastguards, who worked closely together in the earlier years.

Glenys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12